Hobbyist Forums banner

721 - 740 of 758 Posts

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Hi SUNGOD, I'd say very much like the original Enterprise filming miniature: light grey with a hint of green -- seeming THE INVADERS saucer was made at the same shop too. The green was added to improve the models definition from the blue screens which were used then (Now green is the preferred color for screening, so if you're planning on keying it, may want to add a hint of blue instead, lol). The lighter grays could also be lit without many issues. Here's a bit of info on the Enterprise one:

https://culttvman.com/main/what-color-is-the-classic-enterprise-by-paul-m-newitt/

Thanks for that and I might well be painting over the silver on mine. Be good as I have a few saucers in silver so it'll add variety.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I loved this series as a kid and used to have the model. Last night I finished watching season 1 of The Invaders (1967-1968) on YouTube so now I'm ready for season 2. Just watched The Saucer episode. Now I want that model again! I'll be looking to buy the Atlantis reissue. In the whole series, did they ever show more of the interior sets than in The Saucer and the Michael Rennie episode from season 1? Also the control room viewport is not on the filming model right? I'll probably fill that in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had an old Monogram Invaders saucer kit then found Aurora parts on Ebay, in particular the clear top. I used that and sealed the kit with the interior outside of it for display on a diorama. I took a lot of the fine information from the fine gentlemen on this posting and tried to incorporate as much as I was able to into this build up.
Can't thank you guys enough for the invaluable input. It isn't close to the studio miniature but makes for a nice display. Here is a link to the build up.

Thanks again to all you guys.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157670469267384

and the interior assembly

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157639207696223

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought one first round, I couldn't help taking off the shrink wrap and opening the box and glad I did. A couple of the landing gear had the pins knocked during shipping. Atlantis were nice enough to send some replacements.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
According to Steve Iverson, the molds were destroyed for the clear top. I remember painting mine silver and leaving the slits clear. Hey, I was 10, what did I know?
Maybe Atlantis can release a clear kit as a special edition. I have the re release from last year and a Monogram release, so a clear kit would get me to buy another.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
A clear kit could be a lot of fun- build it as a 'Visible' Saucer and scratch up the lower deck. I remember seeing a CGI walk through trying to duplicate some of the additional interior seen in the show. It would be cramped, but with Alien tech you would not need to have a lot of the drive system taking up room...

·
Registered
72 Posts
According to Steve Iverson, the molds were destroyed for the clear top. I remember painting mine silver and leaving the slits clear. Hey, I was 10, what did I know?
Couldn't they just use duplicate the existing top mold and make a clear part for it? It's the same part, after all :)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I think they are still trying to save money by using the original tooling. IIRC the saucer top is on a sprue with some other parts which do not need to be duplicated in clear.
Now if they just switch to all clear styrene then the problem is solved and they have a special edition they can sell to those who already have a kit.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I do find that a bit odd. If they have the mould for the non clear top then don't they put coloured plastic beads in there? And if so can't they just put clear beads into the mould instead of opague ones?

·
Registered
796 Posts
How many episodes actually showed the interior of the saucer? There's a BW pic of Roy Thinnes sitting in a chair in the control chamber, but the controls are totally different from what was shown -- extensively -- in the episode "The Saucer."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Episodes that show the Saucer Interior.

Three episodes -- kind of. THE INNOCENT, THE SAUCER & DARK OUTPOST. There's also the opening credits shot of the aliens and the viewscreen which features different paneling. THE INNOCENT & THE SAUCER have the same basic set structure but have different panels and set dressing.

In THE INNOCENT one side wall and area is never shown as that's where the film crew were filming and lighting from, because of the smaller size of the set, that wall would not have even been there. In THE SAUCER the back wall is missing, as again that's where they filmed. The set was definitely modular so they could remove sections to place lights and the camera.

I said "kind of" because DARK OUTPOST never shows the main control room but has a maze of other rooms. The DARK OUTPOST set comes off a little like the TARDIS in Dr. WHO -- bigger on the inside than on the out.

721 - 740 of 758 Posts