Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 758 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DVD set for the Roy Thinnes series "The Invaders" has been out for a couple of weeks now and I've just gotten about half way through it; this was a surprisingly better show than I remembered it being! While definatly formulaic television, the scripts are very well written, acted and directed, and especially with the alien "immolation" scenes, the special effects are still quite effective. :cool:
This is a series well worth getting, and IMHO, I would love to see an Invaders Saucer get the "Moebius" treatment and be made available as a kit in about a 12"-15" diameter size, perfect for either an interior or even a very nice lighting set-up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I'd go for that. Although the old kit is still nice. Its simple but one of the cleaner Aurora kits. A standard scale version would be cool.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I've also been watching the DVDs and I share your opinion of them.

And that has rekindled my interest in the saucer from the show also. I have a couple of the recent re-issues and I was thinking of building and lighting one. My quandry is powering the lights while retaining the interior for display. I don't want to have a big battery visible in there. So maybe I'll build it without lights.

But a Moebius saucer would certainly be welcome!!

Huzz

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
My quandry is powering the lights while retaining the interior for display. I don't want to have a big battery visible in there. So maybe I'll build it without lights.
I was wondering about that. Of course it has lights around the top lid of the saucer, which pretty much means no interior...

For the bottom lights I want to look at some of those push button on/off drawer lights they advertize on tv... or something similar. If I found some small enough I would just use one in/under each of the red domes on the bottom.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Guys the old Monogram kit is hard to beat. All it needs is someone to reissue that kit with the top moulded in clear plastic so you can either put it on as it is and see the interior, or the windows can be masked off and the top sprayed/painted silver and once the masking tape is pulled off the windows will actually look like proper windows. I'm sure when Monogram first issued that kit the top was moulded in clear plastic but subsequent reissues all had the top moulded in opaque plastic (which is stupid).

The underneath where the main circular engine is should be moulded in clear plastic too (even the appropriately coloured clear plastic of the tv saucer) so it could be lit up from inside.

Nice scratchbuild btw maucutt!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
DjNick - I wasn't going to bother with the top lights.

One possibility for lighting would be to not cement the bottom plate in place but secure it with button magnets. That way, the entire top of the saucer could be lifted off (including the flight deck) to reveal the electronics and battery area. But that means that the seam around the leading edge of the saucer would remain.

Huzz

·
Banned
914 Posts
I cn still remember seeing my invaders saucer model sitting on top of the trash pile... my grandmother had thrown it away, and so much of the landing gear was broken, I just left it there....>>sob<<

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys the old Monogram kit is hard to beat. All it needs is someone to reissue that kit with the top moulded in clear plastic so you can either put it on as it is and see the interior, or the windows can be masked off and the top sprayed/painted silver and once the masking tape is pulled off the windows will actually look like proper windows.

Another improvement over the Aurora/Monogram kit would be to make it twice the size.
If I remember correctly, the mold for the clear roof part was destroyed in the legendary "Great Aurora Train Wreck". :(

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I agree with Sungod that the original would be hard to beat.

But in the hands of Moebius, I'm sure they would find a way to make improvements.

Huzz

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
If I remember correctly, the mold for the clear roof part was destroyed in the legendary "Great Aurora Train Wreck".

The only problem with the original kit was the cylinder section was a different proportion to the main hull. I would also love to see a bigger updated versiuon of it.

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The clear and opaque parts were identical.

Correct; they were identical in measurements, but the only difference was that they were on different trees; the clear roof was on the tree with the clear dome parts. :cool:
I've also noticed in viewing the DVD that the "window slits" around the upper hull are closer together, and that there are more of them, than are represented on the Aurora/Monogram kit.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
My big hope is that if it is reissued by Moebius instead of a rescaled and tuned hull the interior would have a fresh rethink. The original never made sense to me. The control room was OK though it did not amtch the scene showing it in the series, but the weird center hall and two empty rooms on a ship that small just looks stupid. The third room with the standing frames is OK but you would think a space craft would have a little more effiecient use of limited interior space.41. I thank Aurora for making an attempt, but some more stuff and a potential way to exit the craft through to the landing leg ladder would have been nice.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Hey Richard - there is an episode from the series which is titled "The Saucer" in which Vincent captures an Invader ship for a brief period. That episode features some good ship interior shots.

My impression of it was that the Aurora kit did a reasonable job of replicating the interior. Bear in mind though that its been a while since I watched it. I don't think its on the recent first season DVD set. And although I have it on VHS, my VCR died and we replaced it with a DVD recorder. So I can't watch it again to revisit the accuracy of the model.

Ah well!

Huzz

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I agree.If this kit is to be re released in a bigger size,it should be more accurized and have more detail parts.And of course,offer the necessary clear parts for lithing display.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
The control room was OK though it did not match the scene showing it in the series, but the weird center hall and two empty rooms on a ship that small just looks stupid. The third room with the standing frames is OK but you would think a space craft would have a little more effiecient use of limited interior space. I thank Aurora for making an attempt, but some more stuff and a potential way to exit the craft through to the landing leg ladder would have been nice.
Yeah, when I had that model I always used to wonder how the aliens got in and out of the thing!

1 - 20 of 758 Posts