Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to switch over to Lipo but I know nothing about it. I need to know how to take care of my Lipo in detail. I usually race on Fridays or Saturdays so what do I need to do through out the week for the Lipo to be at its peak level on raceday. Also what do I need to do on raceday between races, before, and after? The more advice the better!!!

Thanks!

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
That's the nice thing about LiPo, they're easy. Get yourself a LiPo compatible charger and if it doesn't have a built in balancer, get one of those too. Charge it at 1C (ex. 5000mah pack at 5 amps), run it in the 1st heat, recharge it, run it in the second heat, recharge it, run it in the main, and then leave it alone till next week when you get ready to race again and start over. There isn't any need for the constant babysitting that the old round cells needed.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If You Want To Make Lipo Batt Last Longer You Discharge After Round And Then Recharge.
Where we race, we don't have time in between rounds to discharge, then recharge. I only had enough $$$ to get one 1s/4000 pack; I can't run my 2s/3200 packs with the new 1s/13.5/CoT class. I just re-peak the one pack, and I still run pretty decent.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Where we race, we don't have time in between rounds to discharge, then recharge. I only had enough $$$ to get one 1s/4000 pack; I can't run my 2s/3200 packs with the new 1s/13.5/CoT class. I just re-peak the one pack, and I still run pretty decent.
IT WILL STILL RUN GOOD. BUT IN THE LONG RUN THEY WON'T LAST AS LONG.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Buckaroo how long do you expect them to last. I've got a 5000 smc that is 2 years old that is just a fast as the day it was new. I dirt oval race and we have no off season. You don't need to discharge the lipos to make them last longer. I only balance them once a month.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Buckaroo how long do you expect them to last. I've got a 5000 smc that is 2 years old that is just a fast as the day it was new. I dirt oval race and we have no off season. You don't need to discharge the lipos to make them last longer. I only balance them once a month.
Agreed. I have been running the same single cell pack since February with no issues. Between the constant testing I do along with racing 2 to 3 times a week for the most part, I probably have over 200 charges on that pack and it just set a new track record last week. I simply do what I was told to do with them and it has been flawless... Charge it at 10 amps, run it, repeak it, run it again. It sits at whatever voltage it came out of the car until I go back to the track... repeak it and run it. no discharging, no screwing around with it. It doesn't even come out of the car.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Charge it at 10 amps, run it, repeak it, run it again.
Thought that you weren't supposed to charge a LiPo at more than 1c of the mAh; i.e., a 4000mAh pack at 4 amps, 3200mAh at 3.2 amps. What does charging a LiPo at 10 amps do to the pack? It would seem to me that that would definitely shorten the life span of the pack. If you're charging at 10 amps, how much more "punch" do you get, if any? My charger only goes to 5.0 amps.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Charges it faster. I've charged my at 3.2 for 3200, 4.0 for the 1c 4000 and 5.0 for my 5000 for touring. I also tried the 10amp for all of them and can't tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Really makes no difference on the track. That is what the sponsor told me to do, so thats what I have been doing with no problems thus far. Pack runs just as good as it did the first day I put it on the track.

·
Registered
568 Posts
LAST YEAR GUYS WERE ALREADY ON SECOND SEASON. SAID THEY NOTICE 1 TENTH TO 2 TENTH DIFFERNCE BETWEEN DISCHARGING VERSES NOT. GRANTED IT'S NOT THAT MUCH BUT THESE DAYS YOU NEED IT. MAYBE NOW THAT WE ARE ALL WRENCHING ON CARS MORE THAN WE EVER DID WE ARE PICKING UP THOSE TENTHS.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Im getting ready to switch over to Lipo but I know nothing about it. I need to know how to take care of my Lipo in detail. I usually race on Fridays or Saturdays so what do I need to do through out the week for the Lipo to be at its peak level on raceday. Also what do I need to do on raceday between races, before, and after? The more advice the better!!!

Thanks!
One suggestion if you don't have a lipo charger yet. Find a Competition GFX with lipo conversion. That way you can discharge lipo batteries if you choose at higher discharge rates plus the advantage of higher charge rates if you choose to use them, and the ability to cycle your lipo batteries. I have purchased them used for decent prices in the swap and sell section.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts