Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered today that one of the toothpick-like legs for the UFO broke off.

One question before asking how to fix it:

Why didn't Monogram make this thing a bit bigger so this wouldn't happen? The challenge of keeping the legs on there. See who could do it for the longest time?

Okay, how to fix it? I can't seem to find the piece. If I do, I'm sure it would be a simple matter of gluing it back on. Assuming it's gone forever, I'm guessing some kind of brass or aluminum rod would be in order, roughly the same diameter as the ones already in place. Solid or hollow?

Adhering it to a narrow piece?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You can probably get by using a paperclip. Carefully drill out a hole in the support and glue in a piece of paperclip. Problem solved!

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
If you still have the piece then just glue it back on. Styrene bonds well so leave it upside down for the night with some pieces to keep it in line and shape and it should be ok.

They are quite weak though....that's why I just put mine in the closed position.

·
Registered
391 Posts
"Why didn't Monogram make this thing a bit bigger so this wouldn't happen?"

Cause Aurora tooled this thing in the 60's, when kids would blow up their models as soon as we glued them together.:)

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
meh.

still haven't found it but I suspect I'll find a sprue around here that's the same diameter

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Oe of those jumbo-sized paper clips should be the right diameter. Drilling a hole carefull and it should work fine.

Strange design for landing gear- why didn't the ship sink down into the soil when it was powered down?

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fixed with a trimmed and sanded intercooler from the 1/1000 TOS Enterprise. Let's hope it holds.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Strange design for landing gear- why didn't the ship sink down into the soil when it was powered down?
I always thought those skinny little pegs at the base of the retractable landing gears were odd. I wonder if the design had something to do with setting up the full-size landing gear for shots like this one. (Notice they didn't even try to put in a shadow for the matted-in saucer model.)

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yeah. I can tell that without even noticing the lack of a shadow. The legs look practical and the saucer looks like it's got the outline indicative of a rear-projection effect.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
oh yeah. I can tell that without even noticing the lack of a shadow. The legs look practical and the saucer looks like it's got the outline indicative of a rear-projection effect.
Technically it's a matte shot (a composite shot done in postproduction by combining different film elements using an optical printer). But the general principle is the same.

It would be informative if anyone with inside info could tell us why the landing gear was designed that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It would be informative if anyone with inside info could tell us why the landing gear was designed that way.
My guess would be that the rods on the legs were adjustable to balance on the uneven terrain as a practicality against the rocking of the full size prop when interacting with actors. Notice the ones on the left are shorter than the ones on the right in that pic.

Richard

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I just restored my saucer and had to replace 5 of the little pins at the bottom of the landing gear. I took evergreen sheet and useing one of the pins as a guide cut new ones slightly longer than the originals. I took my pin vise and drilled shallow holes in the gear and put in my replacements with baking soda and super glue and it came out great. I know that brass or some other metal would be the better way to go but hey brass I aint got so plastic it is. Seams fairly sturdy and they are at least as strong as the moulded parts.

Now my Lunar Derelict is an other story! Wifes cat knocked it off the bookcase and it shattered in a million peices! Think I'll need to replace the whole thing! Lol!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Now my Lunar Derelict is an other story! Wifes cat knocked it off the bookcase and it shattered in a million peices! Think I'll need to replace the whole thing! Lol!

Good Luck!
Cats and Models are dangerous mix. Small children also bad- I hade to put protective plastic panels in front of my display shelves to keep my Nephews from picking up my things and going Zoom-Zoom with them (only I can do that...)

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Cats and Models are dangerous mix. Small children also bad- I hade to put protective plastic panels in front of my display shelves to keep my Nephews from picking up my things and going Zoom-Zoom with them (only I can do that...)

My kids are grown and gone onto thier own lives. Now I just have a granddaughter to defend against! Oh yea..and that darn cat!Lol!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts