Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O/T: "The Ice Cream Man"

Yesterday, 54BelAir posted a purple Ice Cream truck in the "Fantasmagorical Hot Wheels Thread". I made the comment that I had to find one of them because I had my "15 Minutes Of Fame" under the nickname of "The Ice Cream Man". He PM'ed me today offering to send me the truck! You meet the best folks here on HobbyTalk. Anyhow, that led me to want to tell the story of "The Ice Cream Man" one more time in this forum:

Here in the Philly area, SportsTalk 610WIP Radio has an annual contest the Friday before the Super Bwl called "The Wing Bowl". They rent out the hockey/basketball arena (I can't recall offhand which bank has the naming rights to the place this year - it changes just about that often!). The premise of the contest is simple: Eat as many tasty barbecued chicken wings in 30 minutes - 2 14-minute heats with the elimination of the bottom 10 performers each time, and a final 2-minute sprint for the 5 finalists. Recently, the winner has gone through over TWO HUNDRED WINGS in the half hour!

To participate in The Wing Bowl, you first have to perform some kind of food-eating stunt live on the air on the moning show. One of my wife's co-workers had a dream of getting involved in The Wing Bowl but knew he didn't have the ability to eat at that level. They got to discussing it in their office, and my wife said that I might be interested in giving it a shot. Sinse we both worked in the same Postal facility, they came out onto the work floor to ask me about it. I came up with the idea of eatimg a full 1/2 gallon ice cream sundae (1 carton of ice cream, a squeeze bottle of Hershey's Syrup, a little jar of sprinkles, a can of ReddyWip, and a small jar of maraschino cherries) in half an hour. They proposed it to the talk show's host and he countered by saying that I'd be in if I could do it in 20 minutes. The day came that they wanted me to do my thing... which turned out to be the same day I was scheduled for jury duty! I had to go down to center city at 6:00 AM to eat ice cream on the radio, so I could be back in my home town by 8:30 for jury duty! Well, it went pretty smoothly. I could see the bottom of the carton in about 17 minutes, so I slowed down a bit to make it look like I was having trouble. The host's sidekick reminded me of one of the Wing Bowl ground rules: "If you heave, you leave"! I wasn't in any danger of that, but I must have been pretty convincing. Well, at 19 minutes and 2 seconds, I showed the radio guys the empty carton, and my wife and her friend demonstrated that all the add-on containers were also empty, so I qualified for the 2000 edition of "The 610WIP Wing Bowl"!

Come the big day, I showed up at the arena with my "entourage", a dozen friends and co-workers, for the grand parade around the arena. I was dressed like a Good Humor man in a white shirt and pants with a black bow tie, white paper cap... and dark black shades. I had modified an old bike to look like a boardwalk-style ice cream vendor's bike and pushed it around the arena with me. My wife, who's very artistic, came up with a "The Ice Cream Man" logo for it. When I got up on stage, I was greeted by my "Wingettes", a pair of very attractive young ladies who made their living dancing at "Club Risque", a big name local "Gentleman's Club". all 25 entrants had a couple of similar assistants, but I found out later that one of mne had actually had her own 1 hour special on HBO!

The event started and I dug in to my first plate of 10 wings... the best honey barbeque wings I'd ever had. I thought I was doing great, having gone through better than 3 plates by the end of the first 14 minute session... until the Wing Bowl Referee, the late Major League Baseball umpire Eric Gregg, disallowed nearly a dozen of my bones for having too much meat left on them. What he called "meat" was the gristle you find on any chicken wings, but he wouldn't listen, so I washed out after the first round. Still, how many people can say they've eaten chicken wings competitively on the radio?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Oooohhh, I can picture that! I'll bet you made a fantastic Good Humor man Jim! With sauce all over your white suit.

You better have had pictures taken. That stinks about the "ref" not having a mind for gristle. But good going to John (54B) for the hooking Jim up with the truck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Great story.... Any chance of having pictures of the event

I have a story that doesn't pop up very often.... Back in 1991 Guns & Roses Rock Band was looking for 500 people to be in a Rock Video from the " Use your Illusion 2 Album " ( Song - November Rain ) and they aired it on the Radio Stations in LA Ca. but they only had 100 or so people who showed up out of the 500 they needed at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles where it was going to be filmed, so the Band had to re-schedule the Video date till they got enough people to show up for the Video. The Band decided to broadcast it not just in LA but the whole state of Ca. so I get a call from my sister saying we should go as the Band wants 500 or so people to be in a Rock Video. The Band asked for everyone to dress up like you were going to a Ballroom Dance so it had to be formal. When we showed up we found out that the Band was also paying each person $40 for helping them out - Hell I would of done it for free as it never happens that you hear a Rock Band needs help putting together a Rock Video. Well, we finally get inside the Orpheum Theatre to be seated and the Video took 5hrs from 8pm to 1am so everyone who went to this Video shoot were getting restless as a person can only sit for so long hearing the same song over & over & over & over.... I had a blast though... Would I do it again??? Hell yeah if the opportunity popped back up. I just wished they gave us something to prove we were in the Rock Video, but that didn't happen. No Cameras - No Videoing so No proof. Just $40 in cash and memories.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great story.... Any chance of having pictures of the event?
First off, that taping sounds like it was a lot of fun. My wife and I did something similar a couple of months ago, as extras in the filming of a video project. Check out this YouTube clip: "The Humpy Awards".
If you look closly at about the 26 second mark, you'll see me and my wife sitting right by the entrance to the dog show ring. I'm the big guy in the blue shirt. We turn up again in the background at the 1:29 mark.

Anyhow, as for a picture of the Wing Bowl event, ask and ye shall receive! Check out the huge cardboard ice cream treats my crew is carrying!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts