Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still build models! Here's the proof!

Here's a WIP of my Polar Lights Hunchback. (Yeah, they call him the Bellringer, but we all know better!)

This is the base that the Hunchback will be sitting on. I painted the kit plastic light brown and, using a series of washes, darkened it to look like weathered wood.

This is the base with the top removed to show more detail of the bottom boards. (You can see that the paint was still a little wet when I took this picture.)

Different view of base with the top replaced. The top rotates on the pedistal beneath it.

The base with the Hunchback's legs attached. (The different lighting changed the colour.)

Footnotes on the colour scheme of the 1925 Silent movie starring Lon Chaney SR state that he wore rust coloured pants.

More to come!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Nice woodgraining there MC, makes me want to look for termites !

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be using both Acrylics and Enamels.

The base is all acrylics, and the pants are sprayed with Tremclad rust-proof primer red.

·
Registered
655 Posts
While we're on the topic ... has anyone one got a picture of a complete model they can post of the Hunchback/Bellringer with the Chaney replacement head availbale through CultTvMan? There is a photo on the ordering page of a completed model with the head replacement, but it's very small and not very clear either.

Ideally someone might have a photo that's close to the size MadCap is offering here of his WIP. BTW, nice oak look on the pedestal!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanx for the compliments on my wood grain techniques.

It worked out pretty good for just 2 washes of brown acrylic. I put the first wash on the beige plastic, followed by a darker wash on the first wash, followed by painting the knots with an even darker brown. I'll probably finalize the paint job by painting it with an acrylic dullcoat, just to seal it all in.

I still have to paint the iron ring on the circular platform. I should probably use a rust technique to make it look like it has seen some rain water in it's life outside.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Really looking good so far, MadCap!! I look forward to seeing the finished product. Will it all be out of box? Or are you using any replacement parts?

Wayne

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ThanX for the comments everyone!

I think I'll use white glue to put the head on until I can order the Lon Chaney replacement one from Posthumos.

In the meantime, here's some more pics. I essentally finished the legs last night, but will need to weather the final, compleated Hunchback.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
MadCap Romanian said:
ThanX for the comments everyone!

I think I'll use white glue to put the head on until I can order the Lon Chaney replacement one from Posthumos.

In the meantime, here's some more pics. I essentally finished the legs last night, but will need to weather the final, compleated Hunchback.

Madcap you have there website or email?I like to order there chaney head aswell for my Aurora thats getting restored.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My digi cam has a double flash effect, so the true colour would come from outside light and no flash feature.

The top three are closer to true colour as I photographed them without the flash.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I usually look at Cult's site for the pics of the heads, then dig around the house in a vain attempt to get Posthumas' address. Then I somehow never seem to find the $15 CDN to order a head. I REALLY have to get it together!:D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Madcap Romanian, the bellringer oops i mean the hunch back in progress looks terrific so far. I never realised his tites were rust colored, i wish i had known before i painted my hunch backs tites purple :freak: I went with that color at the time because a lot of the build ups i saw had that color scheme.Oh well i can always paint over in the future, the wood grain on the base is very realistic,great blend of colors :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, it depends on which version of the Hunchback you wan to do. The Lon Chaney SR research I did said the tights were rust. Other movies starring other actors had different costumes, some of which had the purple. whe I go home I'll look at my research sheet and post the info there.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
[QUOTE I REALLY have to get it together!:D[/QUOTE]

I had "it" together once, but then I forgot where I put it ! :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts