Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Aurora use the original Frank kit head for Frank's Flivver? If not, what's the major diffs between them, and are they comparable, sizewise?

TIA.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
frank,

My guess would be yeah, they sure look the same. It appears that the arms and hands are identical also, with the locator for the right arm having been altered so that it can hang down the side of the Flivver. It would have made life easier for the pattern maker (Larry Ehling, I think) to adapt the existing kit parts to the Flivver version of Frankenstein, rather than sculpt new ones. Plus the similarities between the two kits might have been viewed as increasing continuity?

Mark McG.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Mark. I ask because many years ago I saw a spare Frank head which was basically identical to the original but cruder in the sculpt...that is, details were fainter and more fuzzy. It was undoubtedly Aurora but just slightly 'off' somehow. Figured it was from a really bad run of the original kit, but now wonder if it's from the hot rod kit (which I've never seen in person or a really tight close-up to tell). Have seen closeups of the Wolfman and Mummy rods...those heads seem considerably diff from the main kits, to my eye anyway, so wasn't sure if same went for Frank.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Good question and answer... I always assumed they were the same, but never compared the two...
Now, here's the real question - is the head the same for Dracula and Dracula's Dragster? :D

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Frankenstyrene - (by the way, great name) The Aurora Frankenstein head showed up somewhere else as well - as a premium in cereal boxes! When Aurora was owned by Nabisco (circa 1975) small busts of the Universal monsters were put into Sugar Crisps. They were very similar to the classic Aurora monster model heads. You can check them out here:

http://home.comcast.net/~cinorjer/aurora.htm

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, I remember seeing those!!! Also - forgive this maudlin jog down memory lane but you just shook it loose - I clearly recall standing in the bathroom one Saturday morning (cartoons were on) trying to darken the room enough to see the glow of the Creech poster I'd just pulled out of a box of cereal...I was five at most and danged if I see it like it was yesterday. You've probably seen that poster (whole set, too) showing up on ee-bay recently for an UNGODLY amount of dough.

Anyway, the head I saw was halved just like the original - definitely a kit part. Gray plastic, iirc.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Similar question: what scales, roughly, are the UNCLE and James Bond kits in?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
ChrisW said:
Frankenstyrene - (by the way, great name) The Aurora Frankenstein head showed up somewhere else as well - as a premium in cereal boxes! When Aurora was owned by Nabisco (circa 1975) small busts of the Universal monsters were put into Sugar Crisps. They were very similar to the classic Aurora monster model heads. You can check them out here:

http://home.comcast.net/~cinorjer/aurora.htm
the aurora molds, or remolds of same, were used and reused by tons of companies... for example, the old pennplax creature aquarium figure was defiantly taken from the aurora kit, modified for easier construction.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark McGovern said:
Bond and Oddjob are 1/8 scale; the Man From U.N.C.L.E. kits were a smaller scale - 1/10, 1/12? I don't have any books near the computer.
Dang it. There goes that idea. :(

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
razorwyre1 said:
the aurora molds, or remolds of same, were used and reused by tons of companies... for example, the old pennplax creature aquarium figure was defiantly taken from the aurora kit, modified for easier construction.

I wouldn't be suprised if an Aurora Creature was used as a master and 3-D pantographed down for the Penn-Plax bubbler.

The cover art for the Aurora kits (or copies thereof) turned up all over the place as well. Wallets, album covers, toys and games, etc. used the Bama paintings as the basis for their art...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I just compare the 2 frankenstein heads again from my kits, there is some extra detail on the flivver head by his cheek and mouth, very slight though, I am comparing it form a thin box kit head.The flivver is one of my favorite all time aurora kits.

Buzz

·
Registered
4,752 Posts

I think the heads could be interchangeable. Will have to "Dig Up" my monsters and find out for sure.

Incidently, this is my first picture of the Frankenstein Flivver to be posted on these boards.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mark McGovern said:
Speaking of Frankenstein heads, does this one do anything for you guys? It's supposed to look like the original James Bama box art that is posted also.
Looks good - is that a new Yeager Monsters in Motion release?

BTW, dig that cool franky with the rad T!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts