Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been said that some of the earlier releases were spot on and very cool. This is one of my favorites and I would love to see it again at some point. This is also a testament to when Greenlight put out the right casting, it was very unique and nothing like it was out on the market. This ebay auction shows in my opinion how much this casting is sought after and how much people want it when they find it.

Do it again GL!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120945810091?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
That is a great little vehicle. I don't get why they would tool up a camper just to make very limited use of it. GL should play it 'till the doors fall off, just like they do with every other casting. The camper must add more than they prefer to production cost.

·
Registered
60 Posts
brings to mind other great one time produced items like HW Airstream trailers,Centry boats,JL bass boats. All these go for good money on secondary market.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
That is a great little vehicle. I don't get why they would tool up a camper just to make very limited use of it. GL should play it 'till the doors fall off, just like they do with every other casting. The camper must add more than they prefer to production cost.
I am not too sure if GL tooled the Truck w/Camper as GL likes borrowing other corporations castings. I would like to see GL post up their own die molds to show many of us who think they are only borrowing other corps molds. I am one of them who thinks they do not make their own castings.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
I am not too sure if GL tooled the Truck w/Camper as GL likes borrowing other corporations castings. I would like to see GL post up their own die molds to show many of us who think they are only borrowing other corps molds. I am one of them who thinks they do not make their own castings.
i agree...

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The big slide-in camper was GL's own tool. It was originally made as a "one-time only" model for UTH members. The Chevy truck was blue with chrome wheels. A few months later, the red and white appeared in the first Diorama series. Some UTH members complained (not me that time) because it was supposed to be a one time release. Since then, it has appeared on the Dodge pickup also.
At the time that the camper was being discussed on UTH, MATT said they might never be able to recover development costs.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they would put it out again in a non-hippie version like this one I'd buy another. I have the UTH blue one but could never find this one.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
At the time that the camper was being discussed on UTH, MATT said they might never be able to recover development costs.
And they never will if they don't put it out. They could sell 'em like hotcakes if they only used the camper. They'd have to be blind not to see that the campers were and still are a hot item. Ah, but that's GL for ya.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Very nice Green Machine. This thread hasn't gotten any response from anyone at GL and there was a lot of positive comments. I personally don't want anymore campers but it would appear there is still some demand.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Mr Farmin': I think they've seen it but don't comment here anymore for some reason. Maybe the reason it hasn't been offered lately is the cost of the camper. Even the wholesale price of a Diorama might not cover the cost to make it. Just a guess.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
To me it is understandable that this particular "accessory" would command a higher retail price which makes it difficult to put into a set where UPCs are shared for inventory purposes. It stands to reason when compared to vehicles half it's size. I did not realize that the regular version would command this type of money on the secondary market, but if they don't continue to make new ones then demand for the old ones will go up. I would like to see this on other pickups as well. This is a GL casting all the way through, there may be some in the lineup that are not but as long as the scale and level of detail are good then who cares? JL used tons of ertl and other stuff over the years and I don't recall too many complaints about that. If the casting meets the standard then why worry about it? Using what was available at the time helped the JL line over the years. Save a bunch of development dollars, and expand the lineup, win/win for us. As long as it does not replace in-house product development it can be a good thing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well, if GL would offer more variations of this camper (yes, I know it would just be new colors mainly on the pickup) I'd pick them up - no pun intended!

Do know in China the government there seized some of the dies - perhaps the camper shell was among them? That could be another reason we haven't seen a new release of it...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts