Hobbyist Forums banner

61 - 80 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Great build!

The base adds a lot to the look of the finished build.

Congratulations on completing Flash first!

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Howdy Folks! It's been awhile. I've been pursuing other interests and I can only focus on one or two things at a time. HA!
I'm in... Flash Gordon here I come!

~RK~

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Roy,

I learned while building Polar Light's reissue of the Bride of Frankenstein kit that the seams between two clear plastic parts cannot be totally eradicated. No matter what you do, you cannot make the mating surfaces go away. So I have three alternative suggestions for dealing with this issue:

1. Glue the parts together with a clear cement like Testors Window Maker or Future and polish the helmet as smooth as you can.
  2. Use the seam by dressing it up with paint, striping tape, or whatever to make it look like the airtight connection between the two halves of the helmet. A variation of this idea would be to paint the back of half white to look like real space helmets.
  3. 'Billikenmonster' over at The Clubhouse thought he could try to have a glass worker saw the transparency off a light bulb of the appropriate size. This approach could work - but it would still involve a lot of effort to adapt the bulb to fit the figure. And doing so supposes that the glass will be sufficiently uniform in thickness and clarity to show off Flash's head, over which the bulb may not even fit. For my money, the "single piece helmet" will have to be cast in clear resin by a really talented Aftermarketeer.

I'm afraid we're faced with the same problem we had with Aurora's Lost in Space Robot, a seam in a clear parts assembly that we'll just have to live with.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Mark,

I was thinking something along the lines of option two myself.

~RK~
Oh, and even if it had been possible to have molded it as a single piece the Flash's head was to large for the helmet to pass over. The diameter of the base of where the globe attaches to the suit is smaller than the clearance for Flash's head.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
...The diameter of the base of where the globe attaches to the suit is smaller than the clearance for Flash's head.
Bob,

I haven't handled the helmet pieces yet, not wanting to have any more scratches than necessary to polish out. But it looked pretty much like things would be as you describe. Forgive me, but I have to say it - thanks for the heads-up.

Have a great weekend, all!

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
UPDATE: As we end the first month - and the first quarter - of The Great Flash Gordon Invitational Community Build, I'm happy to report that we have ten participants so far. On the HobbyTalk Modeling Forum, there is: ark undertaker, cajjunwolfman, deadmanincfan, mach7, Mark McGovern, rkoenn (who has already finished his model!), Roy Kirchoff, and scooke123. Several of these builders are also members of The Clubhouse forum, but billikenmonster is posting exclusively there. Finally, Roktman on the IPMS/USA Figures forum has stated his intention to join the community build. We also have a few guys who are following our progress even though they've said that they can't participate; we're happy to have them along for the ride.

There's been a lot of activity on this forum (naturally), and interest shown at The Clubhouse, FineScale Modeler and IPMS/USA Figures forums. The Universal Monster Army forum has been quiet, but I'll keep them in the loop, anyway.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Life has been getting in the way, My wife had disk surgery on Wednesday.

I did manage to get a little work done on Flash.

I'm almost there.

As for the helmet, I think I'll use Micro Krystal Klear. It worked ok on my old Polar Lights
LIS robot.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I'm almost there. Getting close.

I havent started the 2 small bases yet because I'm not convinced I going to keep them.
I really like the aftermarket base some are using

I'm away from home for a few days, I'm going to see the redone Enterprise in DC, I should finish him
up this week though.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Y'know, Roy, mach 7 had a problem getting that part off the sprue. I had a bit of an issue with the thing myself. You don't suppose one of the Clay People got into the shop at Atlantis...?

BTW, congrats on getting the yellow background around your name!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Roy, Nice work so far on the hand!

I hope to have an update tomorrow on my Flash.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Flash is almost done. All I have left is his helmet.

I was going to hit him with a dull coat, but now that I see him all shiny
I kind of like him. Any one have a thoughts on a shiny vs dull?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Thanks

Both my wife and daughter like him shiny too.

I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

61 - 80 of 185 Posts