Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have posted the suggestion that we organize another group build. This hadn't been done since 2014. The suggestion garnered some support; then it occurred to me that it might be fun to invite modelers from other forums to participate as well. So consider this your invitation to join the group build!

The model selected is the Atlantis reissue (or an original kit, if you're so inclined) of Revell's Flash Gordon model kit. The group build will commence on June 1st, with a deadline of October 1st. Do whatever you wish with the model. Post your WIP photos and comments to this thread and I'll publish links among all the other forums involved so every participant can view everyone else's progress.

The idea here is to see how many variations can be accomplished with the same model kit, promote figure modeling in our hobby, and of course, to have fun. The Great Flash Gordon Invitational Community Build is on! Are you in?

Here are the other forums I've invited (I'm waiting to get placed on the FineScale Modeler Group Build calendar): The Clubhouse,
the IPMS/USA Group Builds forum. and the Universal Monster Army.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I tried to register at the Clubhouse and They ask as an anti-robot question "How large can an avatar be?". The only problem is that the FAQ does not address this and there is no way to intuit what the hell answer they want. Thus, it is impossible to register. :confused:

·
Curmudgeon
6,603 Posts
I tried to register at the Clubhouse and They ask as an anti-robot question "How large can an avatar be?". The only problem is that the FAQ does not address this and there is no way to intuit what the hell answer they want. Thus, it is impossible to register. :confused:
*cough*80 pixels x 80 pixels*cough*34.32 KB*cough*

:wink2:

·
Registered
693 Posts
*cough*80 pixels x 80 pixels*cough*34.32 KB*cough*:wink2:
That's not particularly intuitive, as every forum is different, but thank you.

This time I got a different question: "Name 1 of the 4 topics not allowed in the forum". That one was a no-brainer - I typed in "politics", and Bingo!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I know, I was just trying to help.
For which I do indeed thank you. I was just saying it's not an intuitive answer to the question. In other words, it was a stupid question for them to ask, not that your answer was unhelpful. Goddamn Internet, with no tone of voice plug-in!

·
Curmudgeon
6,603 Posts
For which I do indeed thank you. I was just saying it's not an intuitive answer to the question. In other words, it was a stupid question for them to ask, not that your answer was unhelpful. Goddamn Internet, with no tone of voice plug-in!
No worries my friend, I knew what you meant. I don't think any of the forums I frequent have the same maximum size requirement for avatars, so I agree it was a rather useless question.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Flash arrived in today's mail. Looking forward to this group build. Gonna be alot if fun!

My build will commence as soon as I return from Wonderfest.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
My Flash came yesterday from Cult.

I will start work on him after the Indy 500!

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Flash arrived today, also courtesy of our own CultTVman. Sorry some of you guys will be nobbled by WonderFest. I've already started my build, having cut the end off a Kroger's Coffee Creamer bottle, which will become -

Well, let's wait until 06/01, shall we...?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on the original kit? I know it was a Revell kit out in the '50s.

It does not look like it is from the old movies, It is not really close to the comic book.

Was it a stand alone kit? or was it part of a series of kits?

Also the box shows Flash's suit as white but most of the build photos I find are bronze/gold.
Silver would be logical but I can find no builds done in it.

I'm just wondering. Trying to figure out what color to paint him.

I figure I have to go with green for the Martian.

Thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mach,

The kit was issued in 1965, one of two in a series. The second model was of The Phantom, "The Ghost Who Walks", who was posed with a Witch Doctor. Both kits were based on properties copyrighted by King Features Syndicate; whether or not more models in the series were planned I don't know. The Atlantis reissue carries the King Features indicia.

I think Flash looks pretty much the way he did in comic books of the 1960s. The model certainly wasn't based on Alex Raymond's drawings or Buster Crabbe in the serials. Think of it as a "generic" Flash, much like Aurora's classic movie monster kits. In 1965, the Project Gemini space program was going strong, and the EVA suits were white; perhaps that was the box cover artist's inspiration. In any event, the purpose of TGFGICB is to see what each individual builder does with his or her model - so by all means, paint yours any way you want!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Got it. Thanks.

I have a few ideas, I'm leaning towards sliver/black for the suit. Flash has to have blond hair of course!

As I said I think the Martian needs to be green. I'm not sure what green. Hmm.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Teeerific! I hope everybody will try to take the best possible photos of their work, particularly of your finished projects. I'm thinking this would make a nice article for one or another hobby magazine.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts