Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its time to get it back to the condition it was when it was new. That means new lane lights, a timer, a repaint, side curtains, wiring and who knows what else?

I think a great way to pay for this is to sell off the extra PSR cars, Dinner cars and Thank You cars. I'll go home and take an inventory and by Thursday I should have found and figured out what is left over.

I do need help with this as well. I'll take pictures of damaged and missing or needed parts. All you electrical gurus can put some thought to a new system that could be used as a timer and an automatic release. Perhaps the system that other tracks use could be used?

Good idea?

Mark

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I agree that the track could use a freshening up. Also, I tested this after the downhill racing- there is one lane (middle) that has an advantage, while one of the outside lanes had a bump that would launch the cars into the air. Any possibility of getting an automatic finish line to determine who won?

I think selling off the extra cars is a great idea, also. :thumbsup:

That said, my DeSoto's coming back next year to try again. Battle scars and all!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Swifty said:
I tested this after the downhill racing- there is one lane (middle) that has an advantage, while one of the outside lanes had a bump that would launch the cars into the air.
This had a lot to do with how the release was pulled. It could be avoided. It was more so for the right lane than the left lane. Accordingly, I ran all the heats using only the center and left lanes. I noticed this and tried to insure fairness to all. For the record, it was a pretty even split, center lane to far lane winning. Also, in full working order, the release would be electronic rather than manual, a lot easier on the arm after eight hours, LOL.

And Mark, I agree, I can't think of a better way to use the extra cars :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swifty,

It seemed that for some reason, lane one (looking at the track from end to start on your right hand side) was the fastest. It seems that a good firm pull is required to make sure all lane pins come down at the same time. An auto system sure would help this.

It's a great track......the best made perhaps but it saw many days of abuse and neglect not counting all the shipping woes. It would be cool and more fun if E.T. times were possible again. Think of the additional bragging rights and possible contests.

Mark

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Bogus race!!!!!

Swifty (or maybe I should call you Dan Rather),

In light of these flaws now brought to life, I now want a JL vs MotorMax re-match next year.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Mark,

The only way I would be able to help would be with a sponsorship to help with the cost of materials. Is this something you are looking for?

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take photos and post what I'm looking for. Hopefully these are not one off pieces. After that we can go from there. Here are tha facts so far......

Each piece needs to be wired with male and female plug ins to maintain portability. The harness needs to allow for lane lights, ET times and the winning lane should flash. It also requires a new automatic start release mechanism.

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
Agree........fix it up, restore it, bring it back to its glory.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Slot car drag strip timer uses IR lights that could easily be adapted to the gravity track. Only a small hole must be drilled in the center of each lane and a light source must be strong enough overhead. Sometimes the room lighting is enough to make it work properly. You can get very accurate times and even win/lose lights. It even can give you mph and total et.

As for left over PSR's Figure out how much total cost to repair the track. Example would be $250 for the timer system and $250 for the track repairs itself.
$500 total dollars. Then have a pre-registeration for the auction fee of $5.00 sell the tickets to get the $500.00 which will auction off the PSR's that allows people to bid for the PSR's and donate that money to the Logan Center. Everyone will win.

We get the track fixed:
We get a fair chance to win for all involved: Also eliminates fishy bidders by virtue of knowing in advance who will be bidding.
Logan Center gets the Auction money. Tax deduction for the winner.
Start the auction after you have enough $ to fix the track.

Of course I say this without haveing any idea how many event cars you have left over.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
rwwcarguy said:
This had a lot to do with how the release was pulled. It could be avoided. It was more so for the right lane than the left lane. Accordingly, I ran all the heats using only the center and left lanes. I noticed this and tried to insure fairness to all. For the record, it was a pretty even split, center lane to far lane winning. Also, in full working order, the release would be electronic rather than manual, a lot easier on the arm after eight hours, LOL.
And that's why you were running the races, not me! LOL!

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
MARKHOS said:
It seemed that for some reason, lane one (looking at the track from end to start on your right hand side) was the fastest. It seems that a good firm pull is required to make sure all lane pins come down at the same time. An auto system sure would help this.

It's a great track......the best made perhaps but it saw many days of abuse and neglect not counting all the shipping woes. It would be cool and more fun if E.T. times were possible again. Think of the additional bragging rights and possible contests.
I agree 100% that it's a great track. And I can't wait to have a chance to race on the new and improved version next year. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Could a electro magnet be used to start the race? Or would it "pull" the cars? You could use a electro magnet at the rear to "hold" back or underneath and hold the car down but the down part may not be desireable.

Just loop the harness and have a plug in connector at the finish terminal. That way if you end up in a tiny overstuffed room you can shorten the track to say out the door and still have good results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts