Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the negativity around here, plus all the doom and gloom about the future, complaining about how you can’t find your Jonnies etc

I call BS, the good times in someways are now, look at how fast things are being released the last two months, look at all the great new castings we have, plus more on the way it appears

In the past year or less I got what I wanted, ford mavericks, 68 impala, 64 dodge and it looks like the 65 Pontiac is coming. This new casting is not perfect I hear……………..oh well I am happy with the 64 dodge casting, they call it a hemi, but I say it’s a max wedge by looking at the hood scoop and how the engine looks, I am glad they made the mistakes, I find max wedges to be more my thing.

Then we got whinning about the new packaging on and on. I can’t find my Jonnies, I call BS again, I find them, I get them fast from the On line dealers

Plus we have GL making fine new castings, I very much look forward to there up and coming old Mopars too

Plus I see there is a 64 dodge zinger on the way, I don’t really car for zingers, but this one I must get, I may make some mods to it, like smaller tires in the rear etc

So somethings aren’t perfect, but are they really all that bad???????????

Oh I am unhappy too, since I didn’t get my volare/aspen or cordoba/magnum or ford granada, but I am not going whine on end and give up on it all

:cool:

:wave:

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
summitdrinker said:
I can’t find my Jonnies, I call BS again, I find them, I get them fast from the On line dealers
Pretty much missing the main point. JL won't survive with OLD sales only but you go ahead and be happy in the meantime.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
I agree about the OLD sales...they won't survive on that alone.

I cant afford to buy a whole case at a time, and most of the series I don't want anyway.

Walmart, yea, right... had avoided the closest one to me for a long time...decided to stop the other day, they had 1 JL...a Monoploy PT Cruiser that was the same one as a month ago. no other JL at all. The Jada section seemed to be booming tho... looks of different series and different scales there...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've pretty much only bought JL by the series from online vendors for the last 8 years or so. If I find them at TRU, WM, Target or the local hobby shop, it's purely by chance.

The hunt for diecast is fun--I've done it in the past for HWs and Matchbox, but it's too time consuming (and a waste of gas).... point-and-click with an OLD is so much easier...

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
summitdrinker said:
.........Oh I am unhappy too, since I didn’t get my volare/aspen or cordoba/magnum or ford granada, but I am not going whine on end and give up on it all

:cool:

:wave:
Toward the end of our day of diecast hunting yesterday, dave_anto364 mentioned that MotorMax is doing a Ford Tempo - does that help? :)

And to support what you are saying, we found new JLs at some of these hobby shops. Muscle Gold/5, Modern Muscle/1 - pretty current product if you ask me! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
896 Posts
summitdrinker said:
at this point how will GL make it?, I have never seen one at a store yet.

what stores sell them? Kmart, maybe but not any I have ever seen, Meijers, maybe but there are none were I live

I've never seen a GL in a WM, Target or TRU...the only retail place I've seen them is my local hobby shop...at about $6 ea.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
robertwadehall said:
I've never seen a GL in a WM, Target or TRU...the only retail place I've seen them is my local hobby shop...at about $6 ea.
KMart carries GreenLights. They retail for $3.99. No Meijers in CT, so if you have neither retailer near you, your local hobby shop, OLD or the bay may be your sources. Of course, there's always the S&S forum here! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
summitdrinker said:

what stores sell them? Kmart, maybe but not any I have ever seen, Meijers, maybe but there are none were I live
Meijer's, K Mart, and TRU all got GLs. Didn't see any, you say? That's the same situation people are "whining" about with the new JLs at Wal Mart; They're getting them, yes, but in limited quantites and the pent-up demand makes them disappear fast.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Ive seen Greenlights at Kmart and Milezones, but thats it for actual stores. Ive seen new JL's at WM, target, TRU, and a few local shops very regularly. I believe the manufacturers are getting product to the customers, its just a matter of the larger chains (ie WM) to get the product evenly distributed to individual stores.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I still say BS to the fact that Retail is getting JLs. A case here and a case there at 1 count them one Major Retailer, big deal! I have bought one JL to add to my collection in the past 6 months at retail. And I had to buy a freaking t-shirt to get it.

Wal-Mart has caused the KB near me to close, Kmart Sucks for JLs and RC2 for some reason could not do business with Hobby Lobby, which was where I bought 99.9% of my collection.

And don't even get me started on Lightning Fest.

So I am going to raise my BS flag even Higher.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
hoosier-lightning said:
I still say BS to the fact that Retail is getting JLs. A case here and a case there at 1 count them one Major Retailer, big deal! I have bought one JL to add to my collection in the past 6 months at retail. And I had to buy a freaking t-shirt to get it.

Wal-Mart has caused the KB near me to close, Kmart Sucks for JLs and RC2 for some reason could not do business with Hobby Lobby, which was where I bought 99.9% of my collection.

And don't even get me started on Lightning Fest.

So I am going to raise my BS flag even Higher.
What was wrong with Lightning Fest? I went to it last year and had a great time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
As for my view on the current situation of Johnny Lightnings, I haven't seen too much here in the stores. I hardly ever go out looking any more, but did go to several stores this week for the first time in awhile. Toys R' Us had several new cars, including the Head to Head sets and Retro series. I didn't even check KB, but from what I have read, they are only getting old Poker cars. Walmart had several newer Classic Golds and a Dukes of Hazzard 1972 Roadrunner as of last night. It would have been cool to find the General Lee's, but that's why I will be buying a case from Mac's when they get them in! :thumbsup:

Overall, I think distribution still sucks and they could do much better. The product is gone right away when it does come in, and many stores still have old stock that they will not clearance; it sits on the pegs for months and months. In the end, the fate of Johnny Lightning is up to all the collectors and shareholders of Learning Curve Products (aka RC2).

As for Greenlight, I think they have very nice cars, and I can't wait for the Mopars to come out. I have yet to see any in the stores, with the exception of a lone 1967 GTO at the Kmart near me months ago. Otherwise, I have seen absolutely nothing. They do sell well through OLD's, but the sales of them alone will not produce enough profits for them to stay in business very long. If these companies want to stay in business, they need to get out to major retailers with more product, and very often.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
FastC6Vette said:
What was wrong with Lightning Fest? I went to it last year and had a great time. :thumbsup:
Nothing was wrong with Lightning Fest, I am talking about the future of Fest. I am very confident that Fest will become bigger and better every year, but it seems RC2 does not wish to support it any longer.

·
Registered
896 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Meijer's, K Mart, and TRU all got GLs. Didn't see any, you say? That's the same situation people are "whining" about with the new JLs at Wal Mart; They're getting them, yes, but in limited quantites and the pent-up demand makes them disappear fast.
The people buying them from WM, etc i.e. making them dissapear fast probably aren't collectors, though...99% are probably ebay sellers and flea market scalpers..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think distribution is an issue. I bought a holiday 06 AMX and it didn't hit TRU till January. The first 07 JL's didn't hit any of our TRU until Febuary.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
summitdrinker said:
My opinion is that GL is feeding off of the JL customers word of mouth. The two makes are similar enough for the JL customers to crossover with no complaints. It makes for a nice little business but not something I see a lot of business growth in. It remains to be seen how they do. The limited production they have done so far is not enough I think to forecast their chances.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts