Hobbyist Forums banner

321 - 340 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Admirable I had no real expectations of a price. I stated roughly how much I had invested. I am very pleased with the outcome. I now know that it will be taken care of, since I consider its value what someone was willing to pay for it.

And, Capn April LOL. You do not give up easily. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lynne, as much of a burden as it's been, is some part of you gonna miss it dearly? And also, how does it feel being now known as the fan who saved it from oblivion?
Will you be at conventions?
As for having "saved" it. I suppose keeping it that long counts for something. If only the boys had finished their restoration back in 1992, that would have been glorious. For now, I am content to just see that someone who has the wherewithal and the knowledge needed to restore the shuttle has obtained it.

I will tell you, unless you were watching the last few minutes of the auction, that it was beyond exciting. The price did not rise above 20,000 until about 20 minutes to the end. At one point, it jumped tremendously, and several extended bidding times meant people were bidding up to the last 20 seconds.

I do want to thank those on this forum who have been so supportive, and did not allow emotion to cloud their thinking process. We all had one goal, and that was to preserve this piece of history. At that time, those many years ago a fan named Steve bought it from an RV storage lot. If not for him, it would have been scrapped. The average fan did not have interest in it then, and probably still doesn't. It is just a curiosity to them. If not for stubborness, I suppose it would have been scrapped here in Ohio too. I hope that whatever fundraiser the winners have to raise money for restoration is a huge sucess. If 52 percent of the population was estimated to like Star Trek, then there should be a pool of people who will help.

And, yes Chrisisall, I will admit that when I had it in the hangar at the Akron Canton Airport, I would occasionally just drive out and go in to walk around and look at it. It really is an amazing thing up close.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Admirable I had no real expectations of a price. I stated roughly how much I had invested. I am very pleased with the outcome. I now know that it will be taken care of, since I consider its value what someone was willing to pay for it.

And, Capn April LOL. You do not give up easily. :rolleyes:
Never give up, NEVER surrender! :cool:

·
Starship Class
11,623 Posts
GREAT news!

Congratulations and thank you for holding on to her and keeping her safe!:thumbsup:

The shuttlecraft has always been one of my all time favorite Star Trek ships and I'm glad to know the original AMT model is still around.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Hi Guys,

There were actually three Galileo 7 props created for filming the show. The large prop that we are discussing here, which is actually ¾ scale, the small model used for space shots and hangar shots, which is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution, and an interior set of the ship which had removable panels for filming from different camera angles. The interior set was supposedly destroyed.
The exterior is 3/4 scale?

I've never heard that before. Is there actually someplace where it is said?

I'm not calling you out on it, because everyone knows the interior would never fit into the exterior.

But rather, it happens quite often that a large exterior is built to a reduced scale for a variety of reasons.

And just out of curiosity what is the actual length of the Galileo set piece?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Do you know it is bigger than my family room? It is 24 ft. long, 9 ft. wide aft, and 14 feet wide in the stern minus nacelles. It is 9 feet in height. The nacelles weigh 400 lbs. each. It is about 60% restored needing to be fiberglassed and painted then put back together.
Oops, sorry, didn't see this.
I had seen somewhere that the Galileo was actually more like 20 feet long, with the Kirk line of '24 feet' as simply a discrepancy.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Lyndie,

When the shipping details get worked out, would it be alright to tell us when it would get loaded up?

I just realized your only a couple hours away, and would like to make the trip down from Detroit to see her in person before she leaves my part of the country.

And sorry everyone for some quotes where I later find the info.
Its a long thread and I'm trying to digest it in one sitting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do not remember when I was told it was 3/4 scale, but if you watch an episode you will see that when they go to exit the ship they have to bend over. You cannot stand straight up inside it. Leonard Nimoy in particular had a very hard time due to his height.

As for seeing the Galileo 7 before it is moved, I no longer own the shuttle, and I no longer pay for its storage, so that question would have to be directed to the new owner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you Lynn.

I am one of the two new owners, so I will say that we will announce the move so long as it is practical.

Alec

·
Registered
151 Posts
To Help Make Your Money Back...

...If there are any external panels that need replacing (and it looks like most of them do), have any panels you remove cut into small squares and sell them with a certificate of authenticity. I'd love to have a piece of it! :)

Tom

·
Starship Class
11,623 Posts
...If there are any external panels that need replacing (and it looks like most of them do), have any panels you remove cut into small squares and sell them with a certificate of authenticity. I'd love to have a piece of it! :)

Tom
Are any of the original 1960's wood or masonite panels left? I thought all of that was replaced in the 1990's. :confused:

Anyway, it's still a good idea! :thumbsup:

321 - 340 of 384 Posts