Hobbyist Forums banner

301 - 320 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, and John P. believe me it will take more than a new coat of paint to restore me lol.
I have had a good look at the photos of the shuttle and I am struck by how simple the construction is. It doesn't look to me to be a very complicated structure at all. Some metal framing but mostly a simple frame of dimensional lumber covered by flat panels of thin plywood. Some metal here and where necessary but mostly blended together with bondo. No complicated carpentry anywhere.

What surprises me that it has been so difficult to restore over the years. Any competent wooden boat builder would have had a easy time of it.

I am sorry that Lyndie didn't come public before deciding to auction her. I am sure the ST community could have found a suitable individual to restore her.

·
Registered
72 Posts
@Jimbo Bob. That quote you show was about me and my condition not the shuttle. Believe me my construction is not simple. And, a coat of paint will not restore me.

Neither is the shuttle so simple. Each beam is a different length. The shuttle is 9 ft. wide in front and 11 ft. in back, so not just a simple box. There are many rounded edges. And, the thing is quite large with mechanisms to open the doors that required two prop men to hide inside.

BTW we have been discussing this here since Novermber 2011.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
If I had the means I'd love to build a full-size shuttlecraft from scratch, with a finished interior and working lights and sound. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Only a few minutes left to bid. No fingernails left. A new bidder just signed up a few minutes ago. Nothing like waiting until the last moment to bid. I am nervous.

If anyone wants information on bidding call Brooks Ames at:

Mobile 330.703.2732
Office 330.453.9187 ext. 144

·
Registered
72 Posts
It could not have gone to better people Alec. Congratulations and thank you so much. And good luck on your restoration. I will be sending all the documents I have collected through the years including the two prior bills of sale. Please email me as to where to mail it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:dude:

Congratulations Alec! This is an exciting time and prospect!

And congratulations to you Lynne! It's not what you were expecting, but certainly way more than you originally paid for her!

Here's Alec's site for the Galileo restoration and what happens now!

Steve

301 - 320 of 384 Posts