Hobbyist Forums banner

241 - 260 of 384 Posts

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Don't Worry! My partner in this and I have a big enough war chest and we decided to do the fundraiser only after we acquire Galileo so the fundraiser is then for the restoration. So it will be relaunched on Kickstarter at that time.

While some people think Galileo, because it is in such crappy shape, will go for $ 20,000 or less, we know it will go over $ 100,000 and are prepared to play in that space.

Alec
Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but could you get ahold of KathE Walker at Starland and see if she'd be willing to team up on this? She's got her own flatbed truck to transport it, and she can get it into the Wings Over the Rockies museum, where the restoration work can be done. And she said she was definitely interested in the Galileo when I let her know about it, lo, these many weeks ago.

An alliance would be most advantageous. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but could you get ahold of KathE Walker at Starland and see if she'd be willing to team up on this? She's got her own flatbed truck to transport it, and she can get it into the Wings Over the Rockies museum, where the restoration work can be done. And she said she was definitely interested in the Galileo when I let her know about it, lo, these many weeks ago.

An alliance would be most advantageous. :thumbsup:
She is welcome to contact me, but honestly, I don't know a thing about her or the museum and we certainly have no interest in committing to a specific museum at this early date if we win it. No clue who would supposedly do the restoration at this museum and what they would charge.

Alec

·
Registered
716 Posts
She is welcome to contact me, but honestly, I don't know a thing about her or the museum and we certainly have no interest in committing to a specific museum at this early date if we win it. No clue who would supposedly do the restoration at this museum and what they would charge.

Alec
I believe the San Diego Aerospace Museum was open to the idea once upon a time. They restore aircraft in the bottom floor and have hosted the Star Trek tour.

Of course I am very biased since that is a museum I have gone too since forever.
It would also be sort of a mid point between where she was originally built and where she did her
studio work. Obviously the Comic-Con brings in a lot of fans too every year.

Just throwin' it out there. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
What people don't realize is that they are getting into an auction for an iconic and historic piece of history and they think because they are a fan and love Star Trek that they have the ability to actually compete to win Galileo.

We already know who the potential bidders are that we could lose to, and I can tell you the fans groups don't make that list. They don't have the capital. They think Galileo will go for $ 10-20,000. That is laughable. If you aren't ready to pay over $ 100,000, stay home, because you are just fooling yourself.

And then, how will you transport it? How will you store it? How will you restore it? Do you have deep pockets?

Potential bidders include Paul Allen, Ben Stiller, the King of Jordan, two collectors in Europe (one who already paid $ 100,000 for a BSG Viper) and even Profiles in History, the auction house. I can tell you there are probably a couple others I dont even know about.

So when Russ Haslage, who couldn't afford to pay $ 3,000 for Galileo in the 1980's, says he is going to compete against us, I kind of chuckle and say "Good Luck". What worries me is that he claimed he owned the Galileo in the 1980's when he didn't and he raised money to restore her, and he wants to raise money again to acquire it. What happens when he doesn't win it? Will those people get their money back?

This isn't a game for amateurs. This is too important a piece of Star Trek history.

Alec

·
Registered
72 Posts
The reason I posted here at Hobby Talk originally was from following a trail of people who were looking for the Galileo 7 for twenty years. Not only was I declared dead, but to my utter amazement there are Google Earth photos online showing the supposed last location of the shuttle before its imagined demise by imaginary bulldozers.

It actually evaded capture using the Mak'tar stealth haze and was secreted to a new location in broad daylight causing more than a few snapped necks as the wide load barreled down the road. Or was that a Romulan cloaking device? It is all a haze probably due to imbibed Romulan ale.

So, for just for fun I include a Google photo from its current location. Can you tell where it is?

Reminds me of hiding the Arc of the Covenant.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lol

Come on boys. Of course I know which one it is, but surely one of you can tell. Maybe Admiral Steve or the other people who were google earthing it for many years. Maybe we should have a contest.

241 - 260 of 384 Posts