Hobbyist Forums banner

221 - 240 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad it survived

I saw the shuttle next to the sandblasting place around 10 years ago, but did not find out that it was the actual studio model until after it was gone. Sad to hear what an ordeal ownership has been for you, but the fact remains that if it weren't for you it would surely be gone. I am thankful that I was able to run across it when I did, and somewhere I have some digital pics of it. I truly hope you get back some of your invested money out of it, and although I am sure you have plenty of unhappy memories about the whole ordeal, many Trek fans (myself included) thank you for saving a huge part of Star Trek history. Best of luck with the auction, and again thank you!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lyndie

I don't post here much but I do read the forums so I have to delurk and say Thank You for persevering all these years.

The stories of how people let you down time and time again is terrible.

I am involved in helping run a couple of local sci-fi conventions and you do meet some "interesting" characters. Yes some comments they post do make you want to hit your head against a wall.

On the flip side I have met some amazing people that have become close friends.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks. It is a long story isn't it lol. But, it is here posted for those who have questions about the condition of the Galileo 7.

TV props like that seldom survive primarily due to their size. It is a giant pain to store it as it is so large. Not like it can fit in your garage.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here we go! Fans can help right now.
Doug Drexler explains all........

http://galileorestoration.com/
I believe we all should help but what about Shatner, Nimoy, Takei. Nichols and all the rest of the surviving original Star Trek actors. They shoud be giving big since it was this show that catapulted them all to fame and glory. About 12 or more years ago, I went to the Chiller show in NJ and Nichelle Nichols wanted $35 or more I believe for her signed autograph while Chekov only wanted $20. And I thought it was funny since she was just a communications officer while Checkov had a more important role since he drove the ship. I think Shatner and Nimoy won't even bother to attend these shows cause they want lots more money for their autograph. But anyway, I guess things like this will ultimately always fall on the fans to do something about it. It just doesn't seem right.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
The autograph issue is a bit tricky, mainly thanks to the sleazy dealers who show up at the table with a stack of 8x10 glossy pics and expect the celebrity in question to sign 'em all, so that said sleazeball can promptly trot back to his table and sell 'em for a hundred bucks a piece. Charging for the autograph in the first place is an attempt to curb some of that kind of behavior (along with limiting folks to one or two items at a time).

As for Shatner and Nimoy, they generally avoid those types of shows because they know their mere presence will turn the whole thing into a circus. And Shatner generally doesn't do autographs anyway, even before the dealers were in the picture (one, his signature is illegible, and two, he really doesn't see the apparent value of his scrawl on some piece of paper).

I only have a few autographs and they're mainly to commemorate an experience, and I don't pay for them. The few I have on sundry items have a story attached, and THAT is their value to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sadly the galileorestoration fund raiser has flamed out and been cancelled at least in that form.

My donation was refunded in full.

Don't Worry! My partner in this and I have a big enough war chest and we decided to do the fundraiser only after we acquire Galileo so the fundraiser is then for the restoration. So it will be relaunched on Kickstarter at that time.

While some people think Galileo, because it is in such crappy shape, will go for $ 20,000 or less, we know it will go over $ 100,000 and are prepared to play in that space.

Alec

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm now getting disturbing visions of Dubai...
It's Jordan. That is where the King is building a huge $ 70 million entertainment complex and which will have Star Trek at the heart of it. But the good news is it is JJ's Star Trek, so the King may not be interested.

We believe if we are outbid, it will be but a group like that who then has the resources to restore it properly. The worst thing could be if a fan group like IFT (which claims they owned it previously but did not) got a hold of Galileo and then it sat in someone's back yard.

Alec

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
While some people think Galileo, because it is in such crappy shape, will go for $ 20,000 or less, we know it will go over $ 100,000 and are prepared to play in that space.
:thumbsup: Real Trek fans with monetary photon torpedoes! :thumbsup:

This could be a happy ending for the old girl!

221 - 240 of 384 Posts