Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Yeah, me too!
I'm just glad it's FINALLY being taken care of.

EDIT: Crap. It's NOT. The end of the video says its fate is unknown. I watched it with the sound off the first time!!!:mad:
I heard that its in Ohio some where.

Wish I remember where I read that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I saw it in 1986 at the one of the Creation conventions in Anaheim, California. It was great to see it. I don't think it was fully restored at that time, and one of the rear nacelle caps had been damaged on the way to the show.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well that video was just depressing! With all the money going out for Star Trek props these days you wouldn't think this would be so neglected. :freak:

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Someone was supposed to be checking with the dunderhead owner to get an update, to see if she got it out of that industrial yard in time or if the Galileo wound up getting bulldozed.

I've got a feeling someone got it out of there in time. There are some indications that it survived the bulldozing of everything else in that yard.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am the Dunderhead

Hello Captain April and others.

I am the Dunderhead. I am about to sell this albatros, and since you all have opinions on the subject why don't you buy it?

I have spent over $100,000 over the years trying to restore and to store the thing. The photo of it in a "Scrapyard" was actually where it was parked undergoing restoration from a guy with whom I had contracted the work. I was called one day and told get it out of here you have one day to do so. I had it hauled to another location where it is in storage.

The guy I learned went to jail and his business sold. He basically ruined alot of the work that had been done by leaving it sit out in the rain.

Before you call people names, walk a mile in their shoes ok? I have struggled with this since 1989. I have paid various people to do work and they have all let me down. I have also had some amazing adventures with it. If you want to know more then ask. But, do not condemn me as I have suffered mightily.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Lyndie!!! It's so great to find out that the Galileo still survives!
And I'm so sorry for what you've had to go through to make it so!:cry:
Have you contacted Steve Neil at Replica Props Forum? He loves that thing, and I'm sure he could get the ball rolling on maybe purchasing it from you!
He knows lots of industry peeps and mega-Trek fans that would stop at little to see it fully restored & displayed somewhere.
This is his website:
http://www.sneillfx.com/
I think you can contact him there...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you Chrisisall.

I originally pruchased this to "save" it, but who will save me lol. My Mother always said I had better build a bathroom in it as I would end up living in it. Obviously she disapproved, and as in many things looking back she was right.

This thing will either save me or destroy me. After 23 years I am about to sell it one way or the other. Anyone who would buy it look to EBay in the near future. If it does not sell for more than the mimimum then I guess it will either continue to be stored or maybe a partner will help me finish restoring it.

I am hopeful that there is someone out there who has an interest in owning and finishing the restoration. There have been comments about it's destruction or missing parts. The parts are safely stored separate from the main shuttle, as they are restored and I did not want them to be stored outside somewhere.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Sorry 'bout the "dunderhead" bit, but I think it should be somewhat clear by now that choosing to remain anonymous for all this time was probably not the best choice, for the simple fact that a lot of people who would've been happy to help out, couldn't, because they had no idea how to get ahold of you.

As for options for storing and restoration, I'd like to suggest the Wings Over The Rockies museum in Denver, at the former location of Lowry AFB. I've asked them about similar notions, and they'd be more than happy to house it while it's being restored (they regularly house the almost-full scale X-Wing fighter that Lucasfilm likes to trot out every once in a while). Besides having a staff of volunteers who do restoration work on any number of different projects, and besides being right smack dab in the middle of a very active fan community, it's in a large, comfy aircraft hangar that's not going anywhere.

You might also check with the folks over at the Wright-Patterson AFB museum, but there's no guarantee they'll have the same enthusiasm for the project.

·
Registered
72 Posts
See it

I have many pictures, but here is a video showing some of our restoration made by 2 members of a local Star Trek club. This is when I went to pick it up in Palm Springs. We hired a truck to haul it. And the sceens of restoration were made in a hangar near the Goodyear Blimp Airdock in Akron Ohio. The hangar it was in was one used during World War II to make cousairs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
To Captain April

Thank you for the suggestions, but I have remained quiet for all these years because along with owning this comes a great number of nutcakes.

When I was seeking help there was none offered. When I inquired at museums they were not interested. And, any offers I received for help were bogus. So, I ask you was it a mistake to keep quiet? See how many years you can put up with idiots calling you and promising you the moon.

So, now that I have re-emerged anyone with offers of help are free to contact me. However, do not contact me if you are not very serious. And by-the-way if anyone doubts I own this ask Ed Miarecki who restored the USS Enterprise in the Smithsonian and flew to Akron Ohio to see the Galileo 7 in person. Also Ken Isbell of the Smithsonian is also well aware of my ownership and of the previous owners.

http://www.modelermagic.com/?cat=172

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Hey, if I had the hundred grand, you'd be getting a message from PayPal about now and a flatbed truck would be on its way.

I can definitely understand about the problem with the fruit loops, but going completely off the grid didn't exactly help either, did it?

In any case, a lot has changed over the past twenty-five years, like certain folks who know what they're doing are a lot more accessible, and Lowry AFB is no more, resulting in Hangar 2 now being a museum that is perfectly comfortable with an X-Wing sitting amongst the WWII warbirds, and should have no problem with a Class F shuttlecraft joining the party.

The only real trick in that option is getting the ol' girl from Ohio to Denver.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Back on The Grid

Well Capt, I have exposed myself again for whatever happens. Like I said I received many inquiries, and I guess that is normal, but at times it was painful.

I had engaged someone recently to help me but he hasn't done squat. That is the story of this whole thing, people make promises, and then they fall through on their promises.

So, I have some time on my hands, and something is going to happen. I am not sure what. I have spent way too much on this project, and I need a serious partner or partners to finish the restoration.

I am constructing a web site and when it is available I will post that here, and optimize the site for search. And, if nothing else happens it is for sale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well Capt, I have exposed myself again for whatever happens. Like I said I received many inquiries, and I guess that is normal, but at times it was painful.

I had engaged someone recently to help me but he hasn't done squat. That is the story of this whole thing, people make promises, and then they fall through on their promises.

So, I have some time on my hands, and something is going to happen. I am not sure what. I have spent way too much on this project, and I need a serious partner or partners to finish the restoration.

I am constructing a web site and when it is available I will post that here, and optimize the site for search. And, if nothing else happens it is for sale.
We, the producers of the web series "Star Trek Phase II" stand ready to deploy our considerable resources to help you in whatever way would be of the most benefit to you--financial, project management, construction & restoration--anything. We could give the Galileo a good home--or simply work in concert with you.

Best regards and thanks for taking such care of the shuttlecraft for so long at great personal cost. Let us know if we can be of help; we follow through and have a stubborn tenacity.

Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 384 Posts