Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For one of the few times in my life I think I'm going to have difficulty finding
the words I need to express what I want to say. First a little background for
those who don't know. I am a former Co-Chair and currently serve QSAC as Long Range Committee Chair.

QSAC is a voluntary organization. No one is paid or compensated for their time, travel or supplies. The Co-chair is the only elected position. The Committee chairs serve at the behest of the Co-Chairs. The only exception to this is the Manufacturer's Representative which is selected by the manufacturers.

The co-chairs are elected because we wish them to make decisions for us. If every decision to be made was voted on by the membership nothing would get done. The Co-Chairs spend their own time and money for the betterment of quarter scale. Trust me it's not worth it. Which is why you see so many at former Co-Chairs out of the sport. Do the Co-chairs always make decisions you like? No of course they don't. This is what's so hard about being Co-Chair. They have to weigh these decisions and the consequences of the decision and hope they make the right decision for quarter scale. Then after they have made a tough decision they get to be attacked by members and non-members that didn't like the decision. Some Co-Chairs have been better at decisions than others. Some have been better communicators than others. Some better administrators, some better marketers, etc. But I'll guarantee you one thing. ALL of them have had the best interest of quarter scale at heart. No wonder they quit. A little more background here than I wanted.

At a recent NCS race one of the Co-Chair candidates asked me what long range planning I was working on. I told him some small things I was thinking about but I really didn't have a very good answer. This got me to thinking and I believe I can now answer this.

At the rate things are going there will be no QSAC. I believe this. There are a number of reasons and I'll do my best to explain how I came up with this answer.

I've made a guesstimate that nationally about half of the quarter scale racers are not current QSAC members. I think I'm pretty close. The excuses are "What's in it for me" or "What has QSAC done for me" or "We have are own insurance. we don't need QSAC. The funny thing is that they all run under QSAC rules using QSAC plates and they don't see the answer to their question. This also trends to a number of tracks that believe they don't need or want QSAC sanctioning. Small note here, as a racer it should be reassuring to you that the track you race at has met QSAC safety requirements. Some tracks might and some might not. As one example, you might look and see if there is a good fire extinguisher in your hot pits.

So lets do some long ranging here. QSAC continues to declines and it is no longer sustainable. Each track now becomes its own feudal state and it won't be long before tracks need to update their rules. Let's run 260 motors, let's run tuned pipes, let's run any tire we want on the front, we don't need plates, let's run 15mm carbs and on and on. You'll be run what the manufacturers want to sell you. Even if your track tries to do the right things you won't know what the other tracks are doing or you won't agree with them. Inevitably this with lead to further decline. Been nice knowing ya.

So what's the answer? I don't know. A start might be to support QSAC by spending less than the cost of one tire to be a member and encourage your track to sanctioned, and try to understand and support the Co-Chairs decisions. The revenue could be used to have a National Tech director at every NCS race and perhaps a National race director or a National scoring system.

·
Registered
898 Posts
That is a sad outlook for QSAC...... one that some have seen happen in other hobbies, I hope we can learn from what they went throught. I for one hope it does not happen or I will say goodbye to this great hobby.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Brent,

I truly hope you are wrong, but I do not think I would bet the farm against you. Not yet anyway.

I have only been in QuarterScale for a season and half now but have been in RC Oval for a long long time. I was involved in Oval racing back in the late 80's and early 90's when there were thousands of racers over the US, local races were packed and Regional and National events were hard to get into. There was a cutoff of entries. Now this was all electric 1/10th scale but there are some very surreal similarities.

In my opinion what killed 1/10th scale are several things of course but a few main ones. Unstable rules set, approval of equipment that made current equipment obsolete at what seemed to be at the behest of the manufacturers so they could sell the new stuff. The single biggest thing in my opinion was TOO MANY CLASSES. Somehow we got into the mindset that EVERYONE should WIN, and run in the A-Main. Well that is not possible. Want to run in the A? Work on your stuff. If you can't make the A, Win the B. We keep score here and there are winners and losers. If you don't like that then maybe this is not for you. Sorry I digress.

The other huge downfall to Electric Oval racing, I will state next. Now pay attention to this, because those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Are you ready for this?

It was a DIVISION of the sanctioning body. Instead of fixing what racers thought to be wrong with ROAR, they went out and formed several new organizations. ARCOR, NORRCA, RCRA and others I do not remember.

1/10th scale had THOUSANDS of racers, we have a mere couple of hundred and barely that.

The formation of these new bodies still used the basic ROAR rules but were flying different banners at races, you had to be a "member" of that organization to compete in those events and it was overall a pain in the butt.

Fast forward to today, look at 10/10th scale oval. It is on life support and will NEVER be like it was.

Right now we in Quarterscale have the opportunity to FIX it before we go on life support. It is up to US the RACERS to do this. Tony and Mike CANNOT do it, Mike's replacement CANNOT do it. I don't care how many great ideas they have, what kind of new twists they come up with,if WE the RACERS do not get behind them, support them and change the way WE do things then we are all going to have THOUSANDS of dollars worth of paperweights in our shops wishing for the "good ol days".

Now, back up on my soapbox for a few. There is a rumor, yeah I know, going around that if a certain someone was not elected then there would be a split off, still using QSAC rules but just a different series. Do you see a pattern here? Remember what I said about LEARNING from HISTORY? Those of you out there pushing this agenda need to focus your attention inwards to QSAC and put that effort into improving QSAC RACING, even if your candidate is not elected, there are not enough of us to split, period.

QSAC has the advantage of have one of, if not the most stable Rules Package in R/C racing. That part is NOT BROKEN. Do the rules need to be tweaked? As I see it yes, but a total over-haul is not necessary, just a nudge here and there is all.

Most of you know where I stand on a few issues, but I can live with the fact that some of my wishes will not be granted and I can and will still get to go play race-car-driver on the weekends.

I guess what I am really saying is, what we have may not be perfect, but sure as hell beats the alternative which is not racing at all.

In closing Ask not what QSAC can do for you, but what can you do for QSAC.

If we all do that, watch what happens, the racing will be better, we will have more racers and we all get to tell Brent he was wrong!

Now I have to go, I was supposed to be on the road already to go some testing of my Grand National car, I have to get ready to kick Frankie's butt when he comes up to LPR. :wave:

Scott Harper
QSAC #1984

·
Registered
527 Posts
1/10th oval racing is a strong now as it was in the early 90's. You have multiple companies making cars, and with the advent of brushless, spec type racing is huge.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree with Scot h that being for that being said IM going join the member ship list and talk to my fellow racers here in Washington and get the track sanctioned again I would love to see this sport succeed and grow and get so big we wouldn't know what to do with it I have a big passion in this sport and I will have help out as much as I can

·
Registered
487 Posts
Being one of the founders of GASCAR, and also the President, I know what it is like to be on the administration side of R/C racing. GASCAR was formed because there was NO class for nitro oval pan racing. ROAR did not have rules, they used GASCAR rules in the Oval Nats when nitro was run. GASCAR ran well, because it was racer oriented. If manufacturers had been involved in it, I don't think it would have lasted as long as it did. The rules were simple, and changed very little from year to year. Changes were made mostly due to availability of parts. It just got too expensive to travel when gasoline went up so high. And, let's face it.... oval racing is expensive.

That being said....... QSAC might need to be tweaked a bit, but don't re-invent the wheel. Just like Obamacare is going to tank the whole health care business instead of fixing the problems health care has. Spend the time to fix what is wrong and let the system work. Quarter scale needs a central organization to provide rules and guidance, or the costs will go out the roof and everybody quits. We racers need to support the organization and lend some suggestions and stop trying to splinter it off into smaller sanctioning bodies. We might end up with 6 classes with three cars each. Not racing in my book. I agree with Scott on this point..... make fewer classes and get the support up for those. QSAC provides stability to the sport, which is needed, but if we don't get behind those in charge and offer support, we all might be going fishing instead of racing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1/10th oval racing is a strong now as it was in the early 90's. You have multiple companies making cars, and with the advent of brushless, spec type racing is huge.
Not sure where the large scale guys are getting their numbers every dirt oval track I go to is packed full of 1/10 racers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did not say dirt oval. I should have clarified it to say pan car.
You should not have had to say pancar oval. Qsac as a whole runs asphalt, most of us understood your post and a lot agree I'm sure. The numbers will NEVER be what they were in the 90's period, in pan car or dirt oval. I've done both. Don't know what planet some of these people are from.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Scott is right. As much as it pains me Brent is also right..lol...QSAC is not where it use to be back in the day...This is true but what is???...No one from the little man all the way to a big multi billion doller company are struggling. No form of racing is in the green..Due to the way the country is in dismay. We of QSAC are not doomed. The core of people we have in place is solid. It takes 100% effort from all the rest of us to keep it on track so we all can continue to do what we love. The rules we have in place ( Although not perfect) are there so I can go anywhere in this great country and race my lil car. The rule book does need some " tweekn" as already said. Takes us to make that happen..Sitting behind ur computer and talkn a big game does not do anything but make you look stupid. Take a active role in the progression of this hobby. Stop with all the finger pointing and let's all get on the same page and proceed to make this hobby a success. Sanction ur track....pay ur dues....VOTE VOTE VOTE.....make a differance...have ur voice heard....Stop sayn and start doing............6.....1702

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You should not have had to say pancar oval. Qsac as a whole runs asphalt, most of us understood your post and a lot agree I'm sure. The numbers will NEVER be what they were in the 90's period, in pan car or dirt oval. I've done both. Don't know what planet some of these people are from.
Agreed.

I too started in the late 80's and loved the racing and it was a challenge to get to the "A" main with all the entries. There was either stock or mod, period. That was the same for for my dirt cars and my carpet cars. The end started with 19 turn then came the many different winds of brushless 10.5, 13.5, 17.5 21.5 classes finally the nail in the coffin timing advancing esc's. What the hell was wrong with just stock and mod? We had "C" mains in stock on regular weekly race nights, even more at trophy races.

Back on QSAC topic, I just started this past year and I have really enjoyed my time thus far. What I have not liked is the death of GN and a birth of a LM car on pavement. For dirt oval, a LM makes since but to me not on pavement. I thought about it at one point but I like the stock car bodies more. To me this is the type of things that happened to the electric cars and being new to this I don't want to lose it or see it being diluted be having new classes being added. I would have rather seen the GN rules adjusted to keep it alive. and with that said, I don't know if this is the thread to post my opinions on what I would like to see but I will and deal with the consequences. Why not bring GN back but with a bigger 260 motor if lack of speed was the reason for its demise. To me it would be simple as having a stock and mod class but I guess the ballot I filled out would then have to agree for the 12 oz tank then. LOL Oh yeah I would also like to see a mandated fuel if the possibility of a discount from a particular vendor for being the Official fuel for QSAC, could just buy your fuel from the local sanctioned track.

Other than not racing GN at any event so far I think the people in QSAC have the rules right on. I have no objections to what we have.

Jeremiah Ward
QSAC #1974

·
Registered
203 Posts
On the GN class subject>We at Clover and the guys from LPR are trying to revive it in a way>We still run sportsman rules with the 10.5 plate and call it pro sportsman.The key is the class and experience of drivers.If you can't run consistant 8.0 then you don't belong in the class.If you let just anyone in the class you will really mess up some good racing.We told Steve we would give it an honest chance but if we started burning up right rear tires we were going back to sportsman.So far we haven't burned up the RR yet.If they keep the class limited to the better drivers it will last,you have to have a lot of patience to run this class but so far it has been a blast.Most of us are in the 7.8 range and Terry Rae and Frankie have been in the 7.7's some.I know i will probably catch some grief from this post but i'm a big boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck Moretz

·
Registered
207 Posts
On the GN class subject>We at Clover and the guys from LPR are trying to revive it in a way>We still run sportsman rules with the 10.5 plate and call it pro sportsman.The key is the class and experience of drivers.If you can't run consistant 8.0 then you don't belong in the class.If you let just anyone in the class you will really mess up some good racing.We told Steve we would give it an honest chance but if we started burning up right rear tires we were going back to sportsman.So far we haven't burned up the RR yet.If they keep the class limited to the better drivers it will last,you have to have a lot of patience to run this class but so far it has been a blast.Most of us are in the 7.8 range and Terry Rae and Frankie have been in the 7.7's some.I know i will probably catch some grief from this post but i'm a big boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck Moretz
. Well said Chuck!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is a great sport & hobby, I believe we need a governing body that will keep all tracks united. To those people who say what is in it for you. your hobby & sport you have a passion for. i really did not agree with some of the actions over the last year. But I still remained a member, because I think qsac is needed, and should be wanted by every quarterscale racer out there. nothings perfect so we have to take the good,with the bad. But we all need to support qsac.

Has anyone ever pushed for National sponsorship? I bet it is out there,but it is not going to come looking for us. we have to pursue it.

I would be willing to work,with others to obtain this goal. I:) have been involved in going after sponsorship on more of a local basis, I bet it is out there if we go get it.:)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts