Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy gents, gals and John P. :p

Joel Tavera did an excellent job on the design and sculpt for the Lunar Models 1/35 Flying Sub main interior :thumbsup: but nothing was done for the engine room so are there any pics or drawings of that area of the vessel.... does anyone have anything they can post or send me?

Thanks!

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
I know the Aurora kit includes an engine room, but I honestly don't recall ever seeing this part of the Flying Sub in the series. Of course, it's been ages since I've seen any of the 2nd or 3rd season episodes (IIRC season 2 arrives on DVD in November), and I may simply have forgotten.

Are you planning to build the model with a removable roof? If not, I can't imagine there would be much engine room detail visible through the windshield even with the (int.) engine room hatch left open.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Troy, have you thought about contacting Joel directly? I'm willing to bet he's got a lot of great reference material and is likely to share w/you. If you need contact info, shoot me a PM or email.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

Jeffrey,

I just recieved an e-mail from Joel and he mentioned that the Aurora/Monogram FS-1's engine room is pretty much correct exept for the postion of the hatchway on the inner bulkhead and to add more gooodies. He also mentioned this guy in Canada by the name of Mike Botehelo who may know more about the Flying Sub than he does and to send him a note as well....I sent him a link to my Lunar Models Spindrift to give him an idea on what I plan to do.....he did like my Lunar Spindrift. http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/html_lib/giants-dioramas/00025.html

Carson,

I'm building the 1/35 Lunar FS without the removable top so there will be some things to see from the front and through open back hatch......which leads to another question....which way would that rear hatch open on a vessel like that....inwards or out????

Joel also mentioned the water and air engine intake venting that would come in to the left and right of the engines from the walls and that the engines would be supported from the floor as well....unlike the smaller Aurora version....but with an un-removable top...I would not need to bother with those details...me thinks so far.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I think both hatches would open outward.

You would want the ambient sea pressure holding the door closed. Which is opposite of what you would want in a pressurized aircraft, but since 1atm is all you could ever hope to encounter in the air, I'd go with the configuration best suited for underwater functioning.

"J" hinges work well to make the doors functioning.

I opted for ducts leading from atomic engines in the side areas represented by acrylic tubes. It made for some interesting light effects using UV LEDs.

now if I can only remember where I put the damn thing...

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! Steve that looks cool! :eek: NICE WORK. Is that the 1/64 scale version?

Interesting ideas....I like how you did the engine room floor.

My hatches will be in the fixed position....but thanks for the ideas and inspiration. :)

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
fluke said:
WOW! Steve that looks cool! :eek: NICE WORK. Is that the 1/64 scale version?

Interesting ideas....I like how you did the engine room floor.

My hatches will be in the fixed position....but thanks for the ideas and inspiration. :)
er- 1/48 aurorogram?

I admit I'm stuck on making the top removable. What seemed like a decent fit when before painting has become unworkable. I hate to glue it down...

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last time the Flying Sub and Spindrift were sized up the popular vote was about 1/64 or so the figures are too small for 1/48.

When I built my last Aurogram Flying sub I made it a solid design and your right...man that fit is a bugger! If I were to do that kit again I would use a heat gun!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Except for the Frederick Barr drawing, and the Monogram model kit, I have never seen anything else on the engine room. If it was seen in the series, I don't know.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey Steve, are you still working on yours?.....more pics!!

A friend is sending me a few 'key' Flying Sub episodes on vhs so I will soon find out. If they do not show it at all then its open fire on what I want to use from the above mentioned.

I'm already thinking about lighting....something like this but wall or cieling mounted....with frosted (lightly sanded) 3mm true white led's inside a wire cage that would have to solder together...whatiya guys think?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Richard! :wave: Are you kidding!?.....its next years Wonderfest and Sci-Fan's entry.

Well this is what I got back from Mike:

"I think I may have those same blueprints. let me find them and scan them for you.and I'll email them to you. Now I know that both the blueprints and the aurora
model show the engine room behind the cockpit cabin.

But the absolute truth when it comes down to it is that....are you ready for this?

there was no engine room in the FS-1. at least not in the show.

I've seen all the voyage episodes( two specifically I can mention ) and There was no engine room. ( episode " 109 - "The Death Clock" & EPISODE 85 - "Fires of Death")

The rear hatch in the back of the cabin was the one that lead to the back of the ship.The Exit if you will... I know that it makes no sence...but dimentionally speaking... what did in the irwin allen universe?"
Well that makes sence so far......but the Auroragram idea isn't such a bad one though....heck something had to be there?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Carson Dyle said:
I know the Aurora kit includes an engine room, but I honestly don't recall ever seeing this part of the Flying Sub in the series. Of course, it's been ages since I've seen any of the 2nd or 3rd season episodes (IIRC season 2 arrives on DVD in November), and I may simply have forgotten.

I don't remember the engine room either. I remember seeing people going out the rear door of the cabin and immediately cut to the coming out the back of the flying sub.

Methinks the engine room is pure fantasy on the part of Aurora.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
My take on this is also that there was never an engine room...although I've kept that opinion to myself until somebody more qualified on the subject commented.

That being said, I always thought the engine room was an ideal place for some imagineering. I did that excercise some years ago when I tried to come up with a way to explain how the FS propulsion system could work. Of course, assigning real technology to an old TV is show always goofy...but it's interesting. As an old turbine engine guy myself, I imagine the engines as airbreathing atomic jets with an extension, like the afterburner on a conventional engine. While under water, propellants from on board tanks would be pumped into the engine extensions making them into rockets which could function independent of the air. Once airborne, outside air would be introduced turning the engines into efficient air-breathing jets.

Lot of room for creativity.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Ditto on the engine room fantasy. I don't think the turbojets Aurora stuck in there are any less fanciful.

The only way I can get my imagination around it is to devise an inductive drive that works directly on water or air molecules to force them through propulsion tubes. This same technology is utilized in the decking of the sub to help lift the sub (a side-effect being the glowing hexagonal floor plates). That's how mine flies.

The reactor(s) (mine has twin reactors) are in the "wings". Ducts/propulsion tubes pass through the "aft cabin" which would also be used for storage.

I like the brass light fixtures. They look very irwinalleny in a seafaring sort of way.

Here's the directory full of shots from my FS. It hasn't progressed any since these pictures were taken. Feel free to rummage around.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Nice to know my memory isn't completely shot. ;)

Another thing to consider with regards to the engine room: it makes a swell place to hide the battery compartment (just ask Joel Tavera). If seamless access to a self-contained power source is important to you (it is to me) the rear hatch is probably your best bet.

I'll be following this project with interest, Fluke. I'm two models away from starting work on my Rick Teskey/ Dave Merriman Flying Sub, a project for which I'll need to build the entire flight deck from scratch. Don't be surprised if I hit you up for plans and lighting tips when the time comes.

This'll be a fun one.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then its the Aurora Engines it will be....Make it so number one.

As soon as I get started I will be posting my progress.

Four more days till BATTELSTAR!!!! YIPPIE!!!!!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm about to REALLY embarrass myself. I alway snicker at trekkies trying fit scientific explantions into futuristic fiction...

Now I'm gonna' do it :).

From a purely propulsion point of view, getting the Flying Sub to produce power isn't that fanciful...although I wouldn't expect either Captain Crane or Admiral Nelson father a lot of children because I think you'd have to skimp on the shielding to make the FS light enough.

But the principle of atomic jets and atomic rockets are well documented and have been tested (but not used to actually propel a vehicle). The technology is based on replacing the combustion chamber with a reactor core. I'm a bit rusty on my history but I'm looking at a photo of the old Kiwi nuclear rocket engine on a NASA test stand...and it MELTED during a test so we know it's not without it's problems. There were also the Nerva and Phoebus nuclear engines. Nuclear jet technology was similalry bench test though not flown (although the NB-36 did carry a reactor aloft for concept testing).

In the case of the nuclear rocket, the idea was to pump liquid hydrogen in the core of a reactor. That reactor being made of a solid material with "tubes" passing through it. The hydrogen would expand (rather than chencially react) and be expelled. It could breathe under water. The nuclear jet would work on a similar principle except it would breathe air rather than liquid hydrogen. It would have a conventional compressor. The compressed air would pass through the core* and expand. A turbine would extract some of the energy to run the compressor but the rest of the gas would be expelled for thrust.

*Well, it's more complicated than that because it would involve heat exchangers so as not to expel nuclear material into the atmosphere. But the point is that there does exist technology to explain an "atomic jet" that could operate under water and in the air. It's extremely raw technology. It's extremely undeveloped technology. It's technology that poses more questions that scientists could answer 40 years ago. But it's a technology that has been documented and tested in it's most primitive form. It's a lot easier than trying to explain warp drives or transporters!

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
needless to say, with the fantastic weight of reactors, shielding, pressure hull, the Flying Sub flies "like a truck".

edit: fluke, those turbojets better have proper ductwork on the intakes or it won't be ISO 9000 certified.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts