Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take in a different Flea Market this past Sunday. One thing about living in a tourist town is that all the vendors & dealers think everybody's a tourist...they never seem to think about the locals going shopping. So, I stumble upon the (Very Large) diecast booth and start browsing & making small talk with the guy running it. Very nice selection and a lot of current stuff...In our conversation I began asking him how he comes about some of his finds and I'm able to get him to start bragging. By this time, I've figured out part of his scalping techniques so I milk it for all it's worth. I've picked out a couple cars and my daughter has 4 loose Hotwheels so he's not suspicious of me questioning his insight. He goes on to tell me about his connection at Walmart and even tells me that he has a morning ritual, usually on Tuesdays & Thursdays at the local WM. At this point I'm not believing how he's singing like a stool pigeon....but he still thinks I'm a tourist so he doesn't feel threatened about losing his turf.

Well, since this morning is Tuesday, I decided to leave for work a little early and have a little fun. I did in fact hit up the local Walmart and did in fact have a little strike of luck....hidden away was an M2 Chase 69 Z28 and two Treasure Hunt 67 Mustangs....the female stocker which he described was in fact working the toy department and I made it a point to hang out for a few minutes. And on my way to the check out guess who I saw heading for the toy isles....I spoke, asked How are ya doing, and politely said nothing good back there today. He looked as if he ran into a brick wall:dude:

Happy Hunting to all the True Collectors!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
HAHA thats awesome...i hope he learned his lesson. i would keep doing it for like a month straight, or just stalk him in a way with a camera and see if an employee is doing it then bring it to the store managers attention...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAHA thats awesome...i hope he learned his lesson. i would keep doing it for like a month straight, or just stalk him in a way with a camera and see if an employee is doing it then bring it to the store managers attention...

I plan on getting there a little bit earlier Thursday morning just in case he try's to get a jump on things....

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the scalper and the walmart employee are actually working as a "team" they may very well change days and or times all together. Would have been better if you had done this for awhile before he found out who it was.

It's cool that you got him at least once though!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I see a pattern change for them. He knows what he told you so they will change it up. Good story. You needed to take a pic of his face when he saw you. lol

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the scalper and the walmart employee are actually working as a "team" they may very well change days and or times all together. Would have been better if you had done this for awhile before he found out who it was.

It's cool that you got him at least once though!
I think from the way he talked that those days may stay the same unless it's a management decision to change. Because this is mainly a "tourist" store, the stocking priorities will be mainly dry goods & food that vacationers need....but I do plan on keeping my eyes open in the toy isle as much as possible in the near future. Party On!!

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
That's a great story.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
as long as he does not have a stock person in his pocket you will have a good chance of getting to the stuff first.if it was like my wallys for the last 4 yrs the new stuff never made it out till the toy hags let their fle market buddy go though it first.now with all but one hag gone it has been alittle better.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
I think I meet that guy last fall when we were in Gatlinburg. He does have an impressive booth and impressive prices to match :p

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like nothing is gonna be put out today at Walmart...no stock pallets in the floor and no employees in the toy department.....

Will check again Thursday:rolleyes:

·
Banned
565 Posts
as long as he does not have a stock person in his pocket you will have a good chance of getting to the stuff first.if it was like my wallys for the last 4 yrs the new stuff never made it out till the toy hags let their fle market buddy go though it first.now with all but one hag gone it has been alittle better.
I hear ya Frank, my store filled those two stupid dump bins full of hot wheels (and only 10 on the pegs) and they were picked of the good stuff, No TH's, No Supers, No Mystery Machines, and only two Angry Birds. I am not a big fan of angry birds but I picked them up for my daughter and her friends because they love angry birds.. :confused: They had a blast playing with them... I was amazed a $1 toy kept teenagers occupied for a good 2hrs. :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts