Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's an HO slot car that's powered only by air. Made from an autoworld sand van body and with a SRT motor turning a propeller. The basic chassis is a t-jet.

It runs good and is fun to drive. I made a video of it too on youtube.

Fun stuff!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
LMAO,that's the coolest thing i've ever seen done with a slotcar:thumbsup:

It's faster then i thought it'd be,it scoots around pretty good

What size is the prop,and where did you scrounge it up from.

I have a few broken mag car chassis's laying around and a couple Tomy can motors,and you got me eyeballing them up,lol:p:wave:

If you had a directional switch,wonder if it'd give much for reverse braking,if you threw the fan motor into reverse;).

Way to go,that's outta the box thinking :thumbsup:
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
LOL,i'd totally missed that Bill,that's the coolest idea i've seen in along time:thumbsup:

I must have a 1/2 doz old broken mag chassis's laying around,now i'm eyeballing them up,lol:thumbsup:

What a conversation piece:p:wave:
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
LOL,mines on hold now,i'll wait till you get it totally scienced out:thumbsup::wave:

That's gotta be the neatest idea i've seen in a long time Bill,:thumbsup:
Rick

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Propeller spec

LMAO,that's the coolest thing i've ever seen done with a slotcar:thumbsup:

It's faster then i thought it'd be,it scoots around pretty good

What size is the prop,and where did you scrounge it up from.

I have a few broken mag car chassis's laying around and a couple Tomy can motors,and you got me eyeballing them up,lol:p:wave:

If you had a directional switch,wonder if it'd give much for reverse braking,if you threw the fan motor into reverse;).

Way to go,that's outta the box thinking :thumbsup:
Rick
The prop is made by Horizon Hobby USA. Parkzone pkz3102 propeller. I picked it up at my local hobby shop. It's a prop for a little rubber-powered airplane. Just trim the OD down with a manicure scissors, then drill the hole out with a .056 drill and it fits on the motor shaft great.

I bought 2 hoping to get another one of these built so they can race. Here's a photo of the package.

I could probably build another one of these in an hour or so. It's really pretty simple. Well maybe 2 hours -- that body took quite a bit of hacking to get it to fit right.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
That is WAY KOOL!!

I bought a collection of 1/24 slot cars years ago. In there were 2 prop powered slot cars. They were on a scratch built brass chassis. They original owner said they actually had a series for racing these at his local track. They had finger guards built around the prop. I tried several times to make it work again. The prop ran fine and had plenty of push, but for some reason it just wouldn't roll easy enough.

BTW - AWESOME Tub Track!!

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....fun!!!!!

The prop is made by Horizon Hobby USA. Parkzone pkz3102 propeller. I picked it up at my local hobby shop. It's a prop for a little rubber-powered airplane. Just trim the OD down with a manicure scissors, then drill the hole out with a .056 drill and it fits on the motor shaft great.

I bought 2 hoping to get another one of these built so they can race. Here's a photo of the package.

I could probably build another one of these in an hour or so. It's really pretty simple. Well maybe 2 hours -- that body took quite a bit of hacking to get it to fit right.
rholmesr Dude,

Fan Van...OH yEAH!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neat video and Fan Van pics....Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz COOL BEANS!!

I showed this to our Kids Bree and Flethcher...they loved it!!

Can't thank you enough for sharing this here on Hobby Talk and love your Tub Track also!

Have this week off and plan on looking for one of these Props or several of the Props.

Bob...has a few Sand Vans on hand...zilla

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might have to have a few band-aids for the turn marshals.

Not sure how long the prop is on the Sand Van, but I found some on the bay that are 32mm, or 1-1/4" from the tail of micro helicopters, just might be the ticket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/15084816615...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2632wt_932

Boosted
I have cut the props to about 1.6" long but I have not tried cutting down further. Smaller size might work fine. More R+D is needed!!

Thanks for the link. Those props are so cheap I went ahead and bought some to try out. Heck, that's 5 props for the same price as I paid for 1.

I built me another fanvan car this morning (same as first except purple). It took about 3 hrs to put together but I got interrupted a few times. A buddy of mine came over this afternoon to do a fray-car test'n'tune session on the tubby track. Once we were done with that I brought out the fan cars and we were giggling like little kids driving 'em. These things are super fun to drive and even more fun to race! Now I need to get 2 more made so we can race 4 at once.

One thing I found out is if you are just barely behind the other guy in the adjacent lane it is dang near impossible to pass because you are essentially driving into a 15 MPH head wind. You have to pass in the corners while the windage is lower.

The wife came out to check out what all the laughing and hollering was about then went back to get the movie camera and made a video of the race. Not sure if it turned out but maybe youtube ready soon.

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
It works!! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz but, not as fast as yours rholmesr.

I think it is because my prop is only 1 1/8" long. It's off of the rear motor of a mini RC copter that Sucked Beans from the get go.

Ordered some props from the link that Boosted posted and hope that those will give me the POWER!!

Still this is fun but, can't wait to build a faster one now...

I used green tires on mine so maybe that slowed me down. :D

Bob...It rolls easy but, needs more prop...zilla

1 - 20 of 124 Posts