Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I've recently committed myself to fulfilling a longtime goal by building super-accurate versions of all three TOS Enterprises--both pilots and production (as well as the TMP refit and "A", but that's another project, and awaits the release of the 1/1000 Round 2 kit).

In earlier years, I'd hoped to do this with the old AMT/Ertl kits, but the Polar Lights 1/1000 offering is a much better and more accurate choice. It's not as neat as the 33" Master Replicas model (which itself suffers from some inaccuracies and mass-production problems), and I won't be lighting my kits, but being able to say "I did it!" will be very satisfying.

Two years ago, I built up a production-style PL kit as the Lexington, and just recently did a first-pilot build as the Constitution. These served as test-runs.

Now, I'm turning my attention to the first pilot incarnation of the Enterprise, as seen in "The Cage". I'm going all-out, and even intend to replicate the weathering pattern as exactly as possible.

This thread will serve three purposes:

1. To chronicle my build.

2. To provide me with building info/tips (since I'm still something of a novice in terms of my techniques), as well as accurate references for this version of the ship.

3. To provide a place for discussion and study for this version of the ship. We can ALL learn a few things from such discussion.

I have the model pretty much assembled, and am still working on filling seams. Photos will be soon to follow. In terms of accurization, I've removed and filled all running lights and running light holes, as well as the panel lines on the dorsal and engines. The raised details on the sides of the secondary hull and saucer underside have also been removed, as have the rectangular details on the kit's stock first pilot nacelle endcaps (this detail is on the 33" model, but not the 11-footer, which had smooth endcaps).

There are a number of details I'm still working on discerning, and I'll get to those in time.

For now, I open the thread to you, my learned colleagues, so that you may provide reference, discussion, and arcane trivia on this, the first version of the greatest spaceship of them all!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Best luck on your project - looking forward to following your progress.
True, the Cage E supposedly did not have weathering.
Thought I'd throw a question out there for anyone. Not long ago, I read somewhere on the Web (and of course I can't find a reference for it now), an article from someone who had supposedly spent some time measuring the Smithsonian miniature (not Gary Kerr). He detailed the construction, the various materials, etc, quite convincingly but what I had never heard before is that he claimed the nacelles were cylinders of a constant diameter from the nacelle domes back to the joint just behind the pylons, and only at that point do they become the rolled metal cylinders that taper. Can anyone shed any light on this?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am absolutely sure that it did have weathering in the first pilot. It consists of green blotches, and rust/black/gray streaks.
There are also some telltale streaks that remained throughout all three versions.

Here's my breakdown of the model's history:

1. As Delivered to the studio: No weathering, no markings/pinstripes besides the name, numbers and pennants.

2. First pilot: Markings added, weathering and some other details added.

3. Second pilot: Upper saucer repainted to allow for the use of decals instead of painted name/number. CLEAN upper saucer, other weathering remains.

4. Production: New weathering (rust ring, etc.) applied, along with penciled gridlines.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I am absolutely sure that it did have weathering in the first pilot. It consists of green blotches, and rust/black/gray streaks.
There are also some telltale streaks that remained throughout all three versions.

Here's my breakdown of the model's history:

1. As Delivered to the studio: No weathering, no markings/pinstripes besides the name, numbers and pennants.

2. First pilot: Markings added, weathering and some other details added.

3. Second pilot: Upper saucer repainted to allow for the use of decals instead of painted name/number. CLEAN upper saucer, other weathering remains.

4. Production: New weathering (rust ring, etc.) applied, along with penciled gridlines.
Do you have any proof to support your supposition?

Here are a few pictures of the 2nd Pilot, I don't see any weathering...

That said, you are correct that the model had no pilot version pinstripes upon delivery; but weathering...I don't see it. If you've got some pics that show some please, post them. I'm sure everyone here would be quite interested.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Do you have any proof to support your supposition?

Here are a few pictures of the 2nd Pilot, I don't see any weathering...

That is exactly what I said.

First pilot: Weathering.

Second pilot: No weathering on upper saucer (some weathering remains elsewhere, however). This can only be the result of the original painted name/registry (and thus, presumably, the entire upper saucer) being painted over so the decals could be used instead. The upper saucer markings remained, or were maybe reapplied (with mods--the gray pinstripe bands and "T" were filled in with black).

Production: New weathering added to upper saucer.

·
Registered
571 Posts
:freak:

I would ask for proof but it seems clear you have none, it's your model you can paint it how you want; just know that there is no indication that the ship had weathering at the time the cage was filmed.

To add weathering - then take it off- then re-add it, makes no sense what so ever.

Enjoy your build none the less, it should be -- interesting.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Seashark, if I read what Gregatron is saying correctly, the studio weathered the model for the Cage, then when the lights were added for WNMHGB the top of the saucer was re-painted to make the name and number cleaner for close-up photography. It was not re-weathered until the series modifications were made. The photos you posted seem to confirm this, the old girl only has basic markings on her delivery to the studio.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seashark, if I read what Gregatron is saying correctly, the studio weathered the model for the Cage, then when the lights were added for WNMHGB the top of the saucer was re-painted to make the name and number cleaner for close-up photography. It was not re-weathered until the series modifications were made. The photos you posted seem to confirm this, the old girl only has basic markings on her delivery to the studio.
This is exactly what I'm saying (except for the bit about why the saucer was repainted for the second pilot--see below).

It seems like a logical sequence of events.

When the model was delivered, it was clean and austere. No markings except for the pennants and name/registry.

Roddenberry asked for more detail, and so all of the technical markings and pinstripes were added, as well as the ribs on the intercoolers and reactor loops, among other details. The model was also weathered to suggest a ship with some history. It was then filmed for the opening shot of "The Cage".

Thereafter, the "Pilot 1.5" look was experimented with. Some changes to the markings, etc.

When the second pilot was commissioned, the model was overhauled with the addition of internal lighting, and details added or changed. Since the portside was now torn up to make room for the wiring, it was decided to replace the painted-on name and number with decals that could be flopped so that footage could be reversed.

Therefore, the upper saucer was likely repainted entirely--the weathering would have been difficult to preserve while removing the painted name/number. This is likely why all photos of the second pilot version show a clean upper saucer. However, other weathering from the first pilot--like that distinctive rust streak on the secondary hull (beneath the pennant) remained.

For production, still more changes were made to the model, and the saucer was apparently re-weathered. The penciled gridlines were also added.

Upon comparison, one can see that the weathering pattern in the first pilot is different from the production version. And, since the second pilot's saucer appears to be clean, and because we know the switch to decals was made then, I think all of this is very reasonable.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I stand corrected! It is amazing the lack of stills taken in the '60's to catalog FX miniatures. The Enterprise and the Jupiter 2 alike. It's like they didn't think 5 decades later we would be interested in recreating these works of art!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've been following this thread over at SSM, but it seems that there is more interest over here.

Some pictures that clearly show weathering on the 11 foot model during the shooting of 'The Cage'. Red weathering shows up more clearly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdofthegalaxy/3514947525/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdofthegalaxy/3645936240/

These photos have all been resotred, and they clearly show weathering of some type or another on the model.

You can't right click and save, but you can copy it into word. Since the pictures are of a high quaility, they can be blown up. You can see the weathering even more clearly then.

I frimly believe that there was weathering for the original Cage version while the second pilot verison was repainted and weathering not added till series production.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Some pictures that clearly show weathering on the 11 foot model during the shooting of 'The Cage'. Red weathering shows up more clearly.

You can't right click and save...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Landru, Landru help me Landru..."

Call down to engineering and have Mr. Scott check your Dilithum Crystals, one may be cracked. You can right click on and save the pics. Or I could anyway.
Or possibly your phase inducers are out of calibration. If that's the case you'll have climb into one of the Jefferies tubes and remove the antimatter regulator baffel and re-calibrate the inducer manually. Very tricky!

Granted, it does save them in a small size though!

hal9001-

View attachment 95590

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lol, nice post. Come for the festival aye ya?

Yeah, you can save 'em but they don't work. At least on mine. You can blow them up in word though. It's wonderful.

Also, something Gregatron noticed over at the SSM forums is that there appears to be green and red lights on the right and left sides of the primary hull (bottom) right next to the 'NCC 1701'.

Take a look, if you blow it up in word, they're even more visible.

Red one here,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdofthegalaxy/3645936240/

And green one here, just next to the end of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdofthegalaxy/3514947525/

Did I mention the weathering? ;)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Technical point, which may cause discussion.

I'm pretty sure at no point was it planned to print 'reversed' markings so a shot could be filmed and then 'flipped'. There may have been decals made up for other ships, but you have to recall that this was the '60s, TV was low rez, the effects were muddy from the various passes thru the optical printer, and while it's true the ST staff were much more 'into' the show than the staff of Lost in Space, they still had all the limitations of the tiny money Desilu Studios would pony up. Every 'reversed' shot of the Enterprise I recall 'cheated' by cutting away before showing any printed numbers or letters, or was a long shot where you couldn't read anything.

Just using history and logic, I can't cite anything to 'prove' it. So, just tossing that into the stew. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Technical point, which may cause discussion.

I'm pretty sure at no point was it planned to print 'reversed' markings so a shot could be filmed and then 'flipped'. There may have been decals made up for other ships, but you have to recall that this was the '60s, TV was low rez, the effects were muddy from the various passes thru the optical printer, and while it's true the ST staff were much more 'into' the show than the staff of Lost in Space, they still had all the limitations of the tiny money Desilu Studios would pony up. Every 'reversed' shot of the Enterprise I recall 'cheated' by cutting away before showing any printed numbers or letters, or was a long shot where you couldn't read anything.

Just using history and logic, I can't cite anything to 'prove' it. So, just tossing that into the stew. :)

Reversed shots WITH reversed decals appear in "Dagger of the Mind" and "Mirror, Mirror...".

(copy and paste these links so you can see the screencaps)

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/1x09/daggerofthemind087.jpg

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x04/TOS_2x10_MirrorMirror0021-Trekpulse.jpg

(the second screencap was taken just before the "NCC-1701" decal comes into the shot, but it's there, and reads correctly in this flopped shot)

Some other reversed shots ("Shore Leave", etc.) didn't use the backwards decals, and so the filmmakers cut away before the numbers were seen, as you said.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Well, I have no clue what to say. I don't recall that shot from 'Dagger of the Mind' AT ALL. There's something odd about it, the lit windows on the saucer rim, ALL the window lights seem more 'blown out' then they should.

Not 100% convinced about the pic from Mirror. Mirror, because it's the 'Cage' version of the ship (big Bridge dome, pins on Nacelle domes) and just may be stock footage Roddenberry had shot to build up an effects library.

Mind, I have never heard that this was a concept that was even discussed back then but ol' horndog Gene R was pretty forward thinking in many, surprising ways.

there's a part of me that wonders if this was one of the smaller Enterprise models, but then I don't recall them being lit. So, I just am not sure which way to jump on this.

I mean, doesn't matter, it's just a discussion because I've been obsessed with Trek since it ran back in the '60s and I always want new knowledge, so I'm learning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, there were reverse decals used. I remember the scene from Dagger of the Mind very clearly. It's a really ugly shot actually..

By the time lights were added to the model, they had put holes on the left side of the model to accomodate them; so reverse decals had to be used.
That said I not very sure what the status of the left side of the model was during the porduction of the Cage. Keeping in mind that by the time of WNMGB (65) there were only two 'deflector forks' still in place (one on right side & on on the bottom).
One could argue that when The Cage was shot there were three, but when the lights had to be added, they had to rip the one on the left side off.

But the one from Mirror Mirror, I think is just a flipped shot of the second pilot Enterprise because the shots cutts before any numbers can be seen. But I could be wrong. By the way, that shot from Mirror Mirror was never used in WNMHGB. That's why it's so cool ;)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Lol, nice post. Come for the festival aye ya?

Also, something Gregatron noticed over at the SSM forums is that there appears to be green and red lights on the right and left sides of the primary hull (bottom) right next to the 'NCC 1701'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Landru,

You must have spent too much time at the Red Hour. The port and starboard red/green nav lights on the top and bottom of the primary hull have always been there...Mr. Scott would be veeery disapointed with you. This is clearly stated in the Federation Hand Book for Pleebs. What kind of Trekky are you? :lol:

Could be that it's too late for you, you may have been absorded and is the reason you've never noticed that! Or it could very well be because you are not of the body. My advise is to go out and find someone in a long brown hooded robe carrying a long hollow staff (one that has somke coming out of the tip) and take a good puff. Should fix you right up.

hal9001-
(much better computer than the Daystrom M5!)(but then again my older brother did kill some folks too)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts