Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a whim, I just picked up AMT's "The Enterprise Incident" kit muy cheapo on an evilBay auction. I figured I couldn't go too far wrong for $6.50!!

I'm surprised at the amount of stuff there is in the kit, and how little I have seen about it in reviews on the various sites. (Maybe that's the reason it was so cheap!) It's 1/2200 scale and includes two Klingon/Romulan ships and the Enterprise. It also includes a base with power and a sound chip, a printed diorama backdrop, fiber optics, a semi-hemisphere of plastic for a nearby planet, even a battery-powered micro drill for drilling out the windows in the ships.

Looking at the instructions, there appear to be some unusual aspects of the kit construction. For example, the wires that come down from the E's warp nacelles rest on top of the pylons and have to be covered over with a layer of putty.

Have any of you built this kit? What kinds of things have you done to customize it? Any pictures?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I tried to build it but it was just too much trouble for the end results.

A person could really go to town with the Etnerprise for that scale and it could look real cool!
The audio effects were done well except for Kirks voice, he sounded like he took a wiff of helium before giving the commands.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Captain April said:
I snagged up some on clearance just for the fiber optics. I have very grand ideas for one of my Enterprise-D models. :devil:
I just picked up the fiber optic Ent-D kit cheap on eBay. I'll supplement the fiber optics with some fiber optic lamps I bought cheap at the university bookstore, and change out the grain-of-wheat bulbs with LEDs. Some aftermarket decals and accurizing kits, and she'll be good to go. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
The one I'm talking about is the fiber optic E-D; I just didn't think there were enough fiber optics included, and it was cheaper to snag the other kits and canibalize them.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I'm thinking of drilling out every window and installing fiber optics, then making several window power circuits on switches in the base. That way the pattern of lit windows can be varied, or they can all be fired up for that "leaving dock" look.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I also picked the kit up cheap at KB Liquidators about 2 years ago. Haven't had time to build it. I thought it was on par with AMT/ERTLs other mistakes they made called Star Trek. I was disappointed that the main ship, Enterprise, has at least one very blatent error - The turbo lift is on the front of the bridge, instead of the rear. I removed it and created a new one using a styrene rod in the right position.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Yeah, that entire set is a major disappointment compared to what it could have been. At least the D-7's aren't too bad! All of the ships can also be used for kitbashes in 1/2500 scale, if nothing else. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts