Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I noticed on Dragons website the other week they were under the plastic kit section and obviously those pages from HLJ state they're plastic......so if they are then looks like my wallet will be emptied again.:)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HLJ will have them BUT HLJ is the worst place to buy Dragon kits outside of the US. Chinese kits bought via Japan are very expensive compared to either their US price (if sold here) or from places like Lucky Model in Hong Kong.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I don't know about that. I mean, I can't answer to Lucky Hobby as I am not familiar with them, and they don't currently list these Avengers kits on their site. However, Big Bad Toy Store is offering pre-orders of the unpainted kits for $57.99 each. HLJ has them for ¥3,360, which works out to $42.50 with the current exchange rate. Even when you factor in shipping, I think HLJ will still work out to be cheaper. Perhaps some other stores will offer them for less as the release date approaches, but they're not going to be cheap!

It sure would be nice if Dragon got a North American license to sell these in the US officially. I wonder if Moebius still has the Marvel Studios license in their back pocket. Hmmm....

SUNGOD - Yes, they're plastic kits, but not necessarily styrene. Technically speaking, all of Pegasus' kits are plastic kits.

FYI - Here's the parts breakdown for Iron Man:

Personally, I'm intrigued by these kits. I want to pick up at least one of them just to check it out. I'd like to get them all, but as I said, they're not cheap.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In GENERAL Japanese vendors like HLJ tend to be higher on Chinese made items. Dragon tank and airplane kits cost 20% more from HLJ than they usually cost from Hong Kong or even their US MSRP.

The Iron Man model looks more interesting than the very lackluster Moebius kits. It's cool to see Dragon do something different even though I don't have a lot of interest in comic models. I don't mind them if they are vinyl or some other non styrene plastic, although there are others who do.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
Feh. I prerordered the Iron Man just out of curiosity. If the others show up thru a US vendor then maybe I'll get 'em.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I don't know about that. I mean, I can't answer to Lucky Hobby as I am not familiar with them, and they don't currently list these Avengers kits on their site. However, Big Bad Toy Store is offering pre-orders of the unpainted kits for $57.99 each. HLJ has them for ¥3,360, which works out to $42.50 with the current exchange rate. Even when you factor in shipping, I think HLJ will still work out to be cheaper. Perhaps some other stores will offer them for less as the release date approaches, but they're not going to be cheap!

It sure would be nice if Dragon got a North American license to sell these in the US officially. I wonder if Moebius still has the Marvel Studios license in their back pocket. Hmmm....

SUNGOD - Yes, they're plastic kits, but not necessarily styrene. Technically speaking, all of Pegasus' kits are plastic kits.

FYI - Here's the parts breakdown for Iron Man:

Personally, I'm intrigued by these kits. I want to pick up at least one of them just to check it out. I'd like to get them all, but as I said, they're not cheap.

Great news.:thumbsup: I'd prefer styrene but ABS plastic ain't too shabby either. As long as they're not PVC or vinyl or some other soft plastic and they're hard plastic I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well, we wont know for sure until we get our hands on the Dragon kits. The Moebius Iron Man kits are stated as being 1/8 scale. Dragon says theirs are 1/9 scale. Assuming they stick to the stated scales, the Dragon Iron Man will be smaller than the Moebius Iron Man.

If we assumed that Iron Man is 6' tall, for example, the Dragon kit would be 8" and the Moebius kit would be 9", for a height difference of 1".

However, adherence to scale can be shaky at times. The classic Aurora figure kits were supposed to be 1/8 scale, but to my untrained eyes they seem to be closer to 1/9 scale than 1/8 scale. :freak:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
In GENERAL Japanese vendors like HLJ tend to be higher on Chinese made items. Dragon tank and airplane kits cost 20% more from HLJ than they usually cost from Hong Kong or even their US MSRP.
I hear ya'! And if you do see a Chinese vendor selling them for cheaper than HLJ, PLEASE post a link here. I love HLJ, but I gotta pinch the pennies hard these days!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You may have to wait until they are out but look into these places:

Lucky Model
Red Frog
Eric YY
Hobby Easy

They are all good and IIRC all outside of Japan

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have my doubts these will be available in the U.S. and if they are they will be very expensive. Remember, Dragon will need to get the liscencing rights from Marvel, who are owned by Disney. Disney has a huge reputation for being stingy with liscencing and when they do release the rights, they charge a ridiculous amount of money for them. They are are the poster boys for corporate greed. Let's hope they will be available here for a decent price.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I have my doubts these will be available in the U.S. and if they are they will be very expensive. Remember, Dragon will need to get the liscencing rights from Marvel, who are owned by Disney. Disney has a huge reputation for being stingy with liscencing and when they do release the rights, they charge a ridiculous amount of money for them. They are are the poster boys for corporate greed. Let's hope they will be available here for a decent price.

Mega said he's getting them in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts