Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Love a Challenge!
As if the Resin From The Grave "Werewolf of London" wasn't enough (see other thread) I am also venturing into Lunar Models "The Deadly Mantis".
Though the casting on this kit is much better (dah!) than the WOL kit, this one is one of Lunar's "balancing act" kits. Getting the Mantis and the jet to balance on three legs and the "tail-end" is quite a trick. I'm putting a lot of pins in this one...even where the foot on it's right front leg broke off.
Years back I built (as a commission piece) Lunar's "Giant Claw" kit. Now THAT WAS A BALANCING ACT!!!! Has anybody else built that kit?
Wish me luck on this one.

Phil K

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Well gooood luck then! Can you spell F-R-A-G-I-L-E? Looks like it will be a pretty cool piece when done. And a challenge....

hal9001-

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I did somethng similar with a "Gigantics" mantis kit and a 1/144 scale (i think) Lockheed Constellation. I rebuilt the mantis to be a little more realistic.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Good looking kit and neat-o subject, good luck balancing it all!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I built that kit 15-20 years ago, The legs have held up just fine. The rear end touches the base so I was able to installed a fairly hefty pin to support all of the weight.

I had to hose off a pile of dust before taking these pix :). Guess I should dust more often.

Dave

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave,
Nice job on your Deadly Mantis!
I plane on painting the base with a "snow" scene.
I too plan on running a substancial pin up this guy's wazoo to help support him.

Phil K

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks!

You're right. I painted the base wrong. It never even occurred to me that since most of the movie take place in the Arctic there would be a bit of snow on the ground :lol:

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts