Hobbyist Forums banner

The Color of PURPLE Hot Wheels Thread

26K views 313 replies 31 participants last post by  Milton Fox Racing 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
When I was in college, I had a Psych Professor who continually reminded me that

PURPLE

was the color of insanity because my fraternity's colors were purple and gold.

I am self-admittedly nuttier than an Outhouse Squirrel, and since my favorite color is

PURPLE

I want to see y'alls

PURPLE

Hot Wheels!

The only rule to follow is to post them one at a time and not two or more to a post, and no consecutive posts either.

Let someone else post between your posts! So if you got 'em, let's see 'em!

I'll start the thread off with this

20200419broken and missing images move to FUBARED (The Color of PURPLE Hot Wheels Thread) IMAGES thread

See less See more
#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I find "purple" is often the hardest colour to categorize because it has very fuzzy boundaries as to what should and should not classify as "purple".

For example, this 1980s Ultra Hots "Quik Trik" Ferrari 308 GTB has always been purple to me, but officially it's "spectraflame magenta". I know "magenta" lies on the fuzzy boundary between red and purple, but to my eyes, true magenta is much further into red territory than it is in purple territory.

I have the same difficulty with some cars that Mattel officially defines as "pink". This 2011 Hot Wheels Treasure Hunts 1958 Chevy Impala is dark pink, but it sure looks purple to me. Maybe it's close enough to pink that I have an easier time accepting it as "pink" than I do accepting that 308 as "magenta", especially in the right light, but if you want my opinion, I'd say it's at least "violet".

And, speaking of violet, should we consider purple and violet to be two sides of the same colour or two distinct colours? (I'm a British-born Canadian, I spell "color" with a U.)

Volkswagen Custom Beetles in dark purple and violet.