Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It actually looks better than I thought it would. I was out to TRU during lunch and they had a couple on the pegs. Thought about grabbing one but just couldn't get past the brown :p

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 1981 Camaro in that EXACT shade...very strange in real life. I made custom decals out of Hershey bar wrappers and placed them on the fenders. Folks were always asking me how much I had to pay for the special, limited Hershey version!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I dont' know what 69stang uses but I've had great success with the "Goof-Off" product, a bunch of Q-tips, and a light wax job afterwards. Take your time though because it can eventually start softening the main paint job.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
NIce job!
My question is: what did you use to get the big tampo off of the rear window without wrecking the clear plastic or dulling it? I've had bad luck with the nailpolish remover trick on clear plastic.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, all my secrets are already reviled above! I don't always, but in this case, I drilled the car apart, so I may work without fear of damaging the trim detail.

I use a virgin laqure thinner ( wash off is to "hot" for the paint) and "Q-Tip" brand swabs. The off brands do not seem to have enough cotton on them and you wind up scratching the paint. Un like others, I work very quickly with the thinner in small sections, and then give the car a good waxing.

As for the window, I learned that trick right here on our own HT Custom board. It is just Goo Be Gone and a lot of rubbing! Again, make sure you don't scratch the plastic with the rod of the swab.

I have never seen anything remove tampos on plastic "glass" without glazing and hazing like crazy. So I was thankful for the tips I received here on HT!

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Cool job, Ward ! I think I'll do that to the one I bought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts