Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Matchbox making it's '59 Dodge Coronet in the National Parks theme and me finding one today, I couldn't resist putting a few details on it and doing something with it. It's a pretty nice version of the Coronet police car. I didn't find one of the blue and white Sheriff's cars, so I can't say anything about that one. I liked the black and white police car. This car is nice. The details are all on the sides. At least there is a bubble light on top. The ends are plain as Jane. The card art is fantastic. It really makes the whole thing come together. Also, when you open the plastic, you don't lose any of the art! That was a nice plus as I was trying to copy some of the details.
It looked like the black bottom, which made the front and back bumpers, was on the card art, so it stayed. The chrome wasn't very flashy, so a metallic sharpy filled the bill. I liked how mine came out. I also found the National Parks trailer yesterday. I think it is much newer, but put it in today's dio anyways. I made another 47 Chevy Truck with a tow hook to tow the trailer.

·
Administrator
31,559 Posts
The Coronet makes for a really nice park ranger's car. I also have found a couple and the new trailer. I saw the mint green but didnt notice the rear end details until I got home and started taking photographs!

·
Super Moderator
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Chief Ranger makes his inspection.

The rest of the rangers push around their 47 Chevrolet pickups. They are well serviced and good trucks, but are over ten years old. The Chief Ranger is coming to make his inspection in his new 59 Dodge Coronet. Rank has it's privileges.

He arrives at the Northwest station, a log cabin base. The men like it and most have served together a long time. The contingent used to have one truck and mostly horses before the war. Now it has three trucks, an emergency trailer and a few new trucks and a couple new men are supposed to be added, pending a good review.

The Chief arrives a bit early.

His new car is still pretty shiny from the trip.

The supervising Ranger is taking up all the spots.

Got to turn around I guess.

The trailer looks ok. Is it ready for an emergency?

All right, everything looks good. If you can give me a good parking space, I'll pass you on inspection and you'll get the new men and vehicles sometime in the future.

·
Administrator
31,559 Posts
Spiffy uniform. And nice details on them all. I know I can back track to find the brand of paint you use for your clear lights coloring but maybe you can tell me before I (go) find it again, please?

Are those buildings from the WAP era too?

·
Premium Member
9,247 Posts
Nice find Dave congrats. 👍

Reactions: daytime dave

·
Super Moderator
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spiffy uniform. And nice details on them all. I know I can back track to find the brand of paint you use for your clear lights coloring but maybe you can tell me before I (go) find it again, please?

Are those buildings from the WAP era too?
The paint is Tamiya clear acrylic red. I used it on the top bubble and the rear tail lamps. The light on the supervisor ranger truck is a spray tube (from an aerosol can) rounded over on an emery board and cut off. -I used the metallic sharpie on the base and some of the clear red to give it a bit of a sheen. The red light on top of the trailer pole is the center of a Q-tip cut out and sharpied and given the clear red. I've never used the Q-tip centers before.

The log set is called a Roy Toy building set. This one is called the Fort. I didn't make it as the kit called for, it actually has instructions for a cool little fort. I got it on clearance at Hobby Lobby a few years ago very inexpensively if I recall.

·
Super Moderator
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me clarify. It's a piece of the stick in the center of a Q-tip. Not the plastic stick kind, but the "other" hard to describe kind.

Reactions: samace22
1 - 12 of 12 Posts