1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
If you ever go to Wonderfest, ENTER IT!

·
Registered
125 Posts
WOW! That really looks incredible. Nice job on the details. The paintings on the wall, the carpet, all those books. The Cat looks very creepy. What a great tribute to a classic.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Once again I still don't know the Cat and the Canary story but will now have to Google it after seeing that amazing build. Your attention to detail and the exacting fine detail work you did are exquisite. Just an excellent creation on your part.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1) I will remember to "put ze candle back!". My wife thought that reference was hilarious (Young Frankenstein for those not in the know).

2) You can actually see the movie on Youtube, but there's no music and it's just an okay print. If you view a bit of it and find yourself wanting more, go to Kino and buy the restored DVD:

http://www.kinolorber.com/video.php?id=880

It's a gorgeous print, tinted, with a surround-sound orchestral score. If $25 seems too much, maybe you can get a used copy on amazon. It's a slow film, so seeing it in the best presentation possible can make the difference between getting through it and getting bored.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Every time I see the heading of this post I go into...the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man on the moon....

Anyway, Tim, did you scratch build the base, book case and the wall and all? Besides your fantasic paint and detail job, the photography is outstanding! It really makes the model creepy and stand out.

You get a gold star!

hal9001-

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
:thumbsup: Wow, beautiful work.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nice job Tim! The dio is a great idea and the hidden passage is really convincing. Your 'set' lighting and shadows are excellent! Is the lighting in the corridor built in or external?

Nice job on The Cat itself too!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Regards,
MattL

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, all.

Everything is scratch-built from raw materials except for the figure and the rug. The books and the brick wall are made of balsafoam; the rest of the kit is made from balsawood. I used balsawood (maybe basswood) trim from the Northeast Scale Lumber company; there's a link to them on my page.

Right now the lighting in the passageway is from the photography lights. There's an LED kit on the way to me right now; I'll be installing it and putting a ceiling over the passageway.

By the way, these photography lights are about $40 and are available from amazon. It's a neat little foldup kit that's great for photographing objects this size or smaller:

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Table-Photo-Studio-Light/dp/B001MYASTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346333162&sr=8-2&keywords=lightbox+kit+for+photography

It's the quickest, easiest way to photograph stuff well. The light from above is simply hanging on the side of the softbox.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed. Did you scratch the chair rail and the raised panels too?
Your proportions are spot on Tim.

And I really like that nifty mini studio too! Think I might just have to get one of these. Thanks for posting it.

hal9001-

1 - 20 of 23 Posts