Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was my very first Matchbox car, boat & trailer I ever got... It was given to me by my Grandma for my birthday back in 64 or 65... Many soon followed !!!

That following winter, I shoveled driveways for a dollar and was thrilled to be able to make money to buy more MBs... By the summer I was old enough to cut grass and make some real money, about 5 dollars a yard... I dumped every dime I made into my MBs, they were $.49 each back then... I finally got a case and I was hooked... I still have that case full of cars and trucks...All are still in very, very good shape too... Here's a few more !!!

This one I acquired after I had a son, to give to him someday... I still have it too... I still have about 50 or 60 of my original MB cars and trucks I will post pics of later on... I'm still kinda surprized at how good of care I took of them... I really loved these cars dearly !!!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Very nice. I have most of my superfast and HWs from my childhood also. It is amazing the memories I have whenever I get the old superfast cars out.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
You have some great memories there. My first Matchbox car was a yellow 1956 Ford station wagon that my dad bought me when we moved to a new town in 1958. I still have that one put away. Somehow you never forget...:wave::wave::wave:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I can't believe the condition these are in. You might have been a bit older than me when you got your first few.

I still have the first ones I got from about 2 or 3 years old and they are pretty well hammerd on!
By the time I was 6 I clearly remember making a concious disicion not to scratch'em no more! :)

Interesting though. Probably because YOU WORKED HARD for these cars is why most are in near perfect condition!

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Steve,

You are not going to believe this but it is the absolute truth, that yellow Pontiac was my first MB car as well. Amazing. I still have it, although it's a bit rough. I have since gone on to obtain all the variations, but the first one will always be my favorite.

Steve
Global Diecast Direct
www.globaldiecastdirect.com

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Good point LMX. Most of mine are well worn. Not to mention my first customs done with testors model paint. These would make for a funny thread,"Post your first childhood custom".Lol.
CP

·
Registered
19,875 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

the #28 Jaguar Mk10 was on my Wanted list around 1972-3 but it was out of production as superfast had since taken over. I finally found a nice one in a small pharmacy in Dalton, Mass. in the Berkshires.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Wow! Very nice pieces. I still have my first matchbox cars as well. I'm not sure if either the Ford GT40 or the '65 Galaxie police car was my first car, but i have them both. The GT is in very good condition, but the police car is a wreck. I'll always keep them though. I have a few others from my childhood as well. The one I do not have is the sugar truck I got in Bakersfield for my seventh birthday back in '67. I held on to that until I was 25 years old, when I lost it while moving into a new apartment. I was crushed. That was one of my favorite pieces and it was in excellent condition because all I ever did was look at it. I never played with it because I got it while visiting my grandparents in Cali that year. So far I have yet to see another one of those. Maybe someday I can replace my old one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts