Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have seen me post about the competition which has been held on SFM:uk with a theme of "The British are Coming". Well the closing date for the entries has finally arrived and they are now all online. Now it's your chance to vote those which will be the overall winners.

So please take a moment to visit the competition pages and see all the entries (26 in total) and registering your vote!! I'm sure you'll agree that there is an amazing standard of work there.

CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL THE ENTRIES

And while you're there don't forget to have a little look round. The home page can be accessed by clicking here.

And a big thanks to everyone who has entered and especially everyone who has sponsored this event.

Alun

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
How does it fulfill the remit of the competition?
Does "remit" mean something completely different in England?

remit

remit (rî-mît´) verb
remitted, remitting, remits verb, transitive
1. To transmit (money) in payment.
2. a. To refrain from exacting (a tax or penalty, for example); cancel. b. To pardon; forgive: remitted their sins.
3. To restore to a former condition or position.
4. Law. a. To refer (a case) to another court for further consideration or action. b. To refer (a matter) to a committee or an authority for decision.
5. To allow to slacken: The storm remitted its fury.
6. To desist from; give up.
7. To put off; postpone.

verb, intransitive
1. To transmit money.
2. To diminish; abate.

noun (rî-mît´, rê´mît)
1. The act of remitting, especially the referral of a case to another court.
2. A matter remitted for further consideration.

[Middle English remitten, to send back, from Latin remittere : re-, re- + mittere, to send.]
- remit´ment noun
- remit´table adjective
- remit´ter noun

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.
:confused::confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
remit

remit (AREA) [Show phonetics]
noun [C usually singular]
the area which a person or group of people in authority has responsibility for or control over:
The remit of this official inquiry is to investigate the reasons for the accident.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think you may have answered your own question...

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
;)

But yes it can mean "to pay someone" as well. Isn't that the great thing about english....it can mean so many things
Now go and vote!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm....perhaps I should change it to "the scope of the competition" to avoid any transatlantic confusion?

·
Starship Class
11,925 Posts
Alun said:
Hmmm....perhaps I should change it to "the scope of the competition" to avoid any transatlantic confusion?

:lol:

Yep! That might help a little.

It's a good point, however. I disqualified several of the models based on the fact that they seemed 'retrofitted' into the requirements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts