Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow modelers are we livining in another "golden age" Of Modeling?

Polar Lights releases a styrene Jupiter 2
Polar lights Gives us a 1/350 Refit
Finemolds Millennium Falcon.... To name just a few examples of Excellence. And now Moebius Has the Irwin Allen rights. A 39" SEAVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I for one am thankfull.
 

·
Starship Class
Joined
·
11,869 Posts
beatlepaul said:
Fellow modelers are we livining in another "golden age" Of Modeling?
If you take the last decade of releases and re-releases into account--most definitely! :thumbsup:
 

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
6,600 Posts
Garbaron said:
To bad PL will not make any NEW Star Trek models!
Polar Lights no longer exists, and the company that purchased and dismantled them (RC2) is ceasing all operations of their model kit division (AMT) before the end of 2007. As far as American-based companies are concerned, Moebius Models appears to be the last hope for us styrene fans who like to build more than cars.
 

·
Oxidation Genius
Joined
·
31,235 Posts
Hard to call it a golden age when RC2 has gone out of their way to butcher the plastic model industry in America.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
John P said:
Hard to call it a golden age when RC2 has gone out of their way to butcher the plastic model industry in America.
May it rest in peace.

"Boutique(companies like Moebius)," GarageKit or foreign model manufacturers seem to be all that is left.:cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
Polar Lights no longer exists, and the company that purchased and dismantled them (RC2) is ceasing all operations of their model kit division (AMT) before the end of 2007. As far as American-based companies are concerned, Moebius Models appears to be the last hope for us styrene fans who like to build more than cars.
Well, there's always Monarch Models with their upcoming Nosferatu... :D

I personally am kinda jazzed about TWO companies following the Aurora/PL lead... my only worry is market oversaturation being hard on both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,444 Posts
I've never understood why RC2 bought all Tom Lowe's stuff to get at the Johny Lightning die cast cars and then, rather than sell the Polar Lights division or at least its assets for a profit to someone wanting to run a model company, decided to junk it and their other plastic model assets. And as RC2 has stated that it doesn't want to be in the model business, then model companies are no competitive threat to RC2 whatsoever.

From a purely objective, rational perspective, there is absolutely no business sense in RC2's decisions in this matter. Based on that, I have to 100% agree with John P's assessment.

Huzz
 

·
Starship Class
Joined
·
11,869 Posts
John P said:
Hard to call it a golden age when RC2 has gone out of their way to butcher the plastic model industry in America.
Do you consider it "golden" up to that point? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Dave Hussey said:
From a purely objective, rational perspective, there is absolutely no business sense in RC2's decisions in this matter. Based on that, I have to 100% agree with John P's assessment.
Maybe from a Canadian point of view RC2's moves don't make sense, but believe me in the US business world it makes complete sense. For instance:

Dave Hussey said:
I've never understood why RC2 bought all Tom Lowe's stuff to get at the Johny Lightning die cast cars and then, rather than sell the Polar Lights division or at least its assets for a profit to someone wanting to run a model company, decided to junk it and their other plastic model assets.
See, that you proposed right there, that's too easy, man! Everything has to be harder, more expensive, more complicated than it needs to be. Otherwise, it's just not worth doing... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,987 Posts
If this definition of "golden age" is true:

"a time period when some activity or skill was at its peak"

... then it could be said that this age is somewhat golden, since skill is high if we look at Captain Cardboard and Fine Molds, for example.

But if we take "any flourishing or outstanding period" as the definition, then sadly, we ain't golden, since the kitbuilding hobby is not flourishing, but dying. :(

Now a golden age of action figures, maybe ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
I think that the hobby industry is in a state of major transition. I think that in terms of the skill of the modeler, the products available today, not just main-stream kits, but resin and aftermarket items, truly make this a "golden age". Think of a subject and somebody has produced it in some form. Think of materials available, from a choice of primers & paints to tools to decals to technologies unheard of in days gone by. Think of the ability to research almost any topic from your desktop and the ability to instantly tap into the knowledge of others who share your interests. A truly Golden Age. Yes, the current industry is deathly ill, the signs of that are the number of mom and pop hobby stores that have closed, but part of that is also how retailing has been smothered by giants and by lawyers and accountants running the corporate agenda.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I'm certainly in a niche, a padded niche i grant you but my niche none the less and i'm happy to be here ;)

Go easy.
 

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
6,600 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
Polar Lights no longer exists, and the company that purchased and dismantled them (RC2) is ceasing all operations of their model kit division (AMT) before the end of 2007. As far as American-based companies are concerned, Moebius Models appears to be the last hope for us styrene fans who like to build more than cars.
DinoMike said:
Well, there's always Monarch Models with their upcoming Nosferatu... :D

I personally am kinda jazzed about TWO companies following the Aurora/PL lead... my only worry is market oversaturation being hard on both.
Right, I keep forgetting about Monarch Models. So far I've only heard about their Nosferatu kit; I hope it won't be their last.

I don't think market oversaturation is as much of a problem as the fact that this is simply a dying hobby. Or, at least, is it here in Southern California. I'm currently 45 years old, and the only time I see people younger than me in the model kit section of one of the few local hobby shops left, they're trailing along behind their fathers with bored looks, hoping Dad'll be done soon so they can get back to their video games, Ipods, text messages, and/or My Space accounts. :rolleyes: This is a generation of narcissism, instant gratification, and short attention spans--if it takes too long or seems too much like work, they're not interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Sad to say but I agree.. Im (probably) only into modeling because my father took the time to get me interested at an early age. These days I find its a good way to help focus the mind and use it as a sort of meditation.. well I guess thats what you would call it.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top