Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HT member 56 57, Bud, recently disclosed a serious illness, and appealed to his fellow members that someone please step up and carry on his tradition of sending all kinds of various boxes of Johnnies criss-crossing all parts of the United States and Canada. Many great members stepped up to offer their help in doing so.

I then started scratching my head as to possibly doing a box specifically for Bud, and came up with this idea:

I am going to place one Johnny Lightning - a very special item in my collection - in a large box. Any members who wish to receive this box will add one of their favorite JLs to the box. It can be loose, or carded. It can be a regular issue, or a White Lightning. It can be any Johnny Lightning at all, as long as it is one that is a very valued (whether monetarily, or in its "specialness" to you) part of your collection. You will include a note as to why this item is so special to you.

The purpose here is to give something special, to someone who has given so much of himself here on Hobby Talk, and show him just how much we appreciate all he has done for us. We are all adding to the box this time, and taking nothing out for ourselves.

If you were a participant in any of the previous "Bud Boxes" and want to show your appreciation for that to Bud, or if you just want to be a part of this special one, please post here or e-mail (not PM) me through the link in my profile with your address.

As guilty of this as I've been myself in the past, I'm going to ask all participants to get this shipped out on the double, so that this gets to Bud as quickly as possible to help boost his morale and see if we can add some pleasure to a difficult time in his life.

Because of the time limitations, I'm going to see how the response here is, and if it's as high as I suspect it might get, I'm going to pick a limit to cap this at, so get in early please.

The last member will have the highest shipping cost of all, so I will offer to split that Priority Mail cost with you (after all, the first box will also be the cheapest!). With all of us knowing the customs delays between the U.S. and Canada, I have some concerns about Canadian members on this particular box.

That said, I'm going to take a little time to pick one Johnny, while I await the results of this thread.

Thanks to all who join this most "special of all" boxes.

This Bud's for you, Bud!!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have made my choice. It's one very near and dear to me for a couple of reasons, and as much as it means to me, I couldn't think of a better example of the Hobby Talk spirit to send Bud :thumbsup:

I think when the box reaches Bud, I'll start another thread where we can share with fellow Hobby Talkers what we sent Bud, and why it meant so much to us. :wave:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Rich, count me in for sure! If you dont have my addy let me know, or you can get it from Mark, he has used it a few times now, lol.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Rich, sign me up. Or better yet, I'll add in something when Mark gets the box. One more reason to meet up at Rookies.

Come to think of it, I snagged a white the last time I went hunting with Mark....

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Rich, I'm in. I'd also suggest that you map it out geographically, the shorter the trips are from one location to another, the lower the postage. Make the stops closest to you the later stops so it wouldn't be a huge box coming from the west coast, and a lighter box going to the west coast would be better for you.

I can help you plot it if you need to. Maybe Mike (70XR7), Mark (Hotdogman), and I, and any other CT participants can get together and add ours together and place our contents in, and we can split the shipping back to you. Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Just spewing ideas but since we are trying to maximize contents and minimize shipping everywhere, maybe some of the more distant participants could just send their items on their own directly to Rich. I know it's not the normal Bud Box spirit, but this isn't the normal Bud Box, either.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, you may have the best idea of all, Mike. I was also thinking of sending it in geographic order to make shipping less for everyone, but if everyone would rather send one item to one location, I'll gladly put one box together and get this done quicker, with more people possibly getting in.

There we have it. If you need my addy, again e-mail (don't PM) me and I'll send it out to you. Pick one special car and include a note to Bud telling what made that Johnny so special to you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Great idea but I had rather (beings I am not in very good condition) to go ahead with my Bud's box and get a list and trade. I really appriciate the thought but why don't you do it that way........Please.......Thanks

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
56 57 said:
Great idea but I had rather (beings I am not in very good condition) to go ahead with my Bud's box and get a list and trade. I really appriciate the thought but why don't you do it that way........Please.......Thanks
Your wish is our deed, Bud, but I'm up for both of these. Which box were you thinking of?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts