Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i'm seeing a freaking MAINLINE sell for 5 times the shelf price, and i've seen people asking whites and greens for this little piece of mainlinre junk, what gives, people making money off of misery, or jumping on the ebay bandwagon?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
It's that "gotta have it first " thing. I am a Batman fan, but I will wait for this one. If it is as ugly as it looks, It may stay on the shelf. Same reason I don't have a Tumbler. I haven't seen a decent one yet. The 100% stuff may be better.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My guess is because they arent putting huge quantities of them into out, the batman movie is recently released, and people are hoarding them so people like me who hardly get new cars put out to begin with and want to get one for their little girl because she loves little cars and loves her batman ones have no alternative than to pay $5 for one and of course $10 for 2 so her little brother and her dont fight.

I think it is stupid personally but the fact that i pay $10 for a single beat up old car that jut happens to have a redline painted on the wheels kinda makes it hard to not justify spending 5 to make my little princess happy. As long as she is polite, thankful and responsible, ill get her whatever she wants within reason.

But yes it is rediculous and to trade a super, wl or gm would be pretty assinine in my opinion but remember these things onl hold their value in what another values it at.

Yeah im one of the rubes who is gonna end up paying $5 for a $1 car for my kids to rip open an destroy any and all worth to it. But at least i know im an idiot for doing it.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's that "gotta have it first " thing. I am a Batman fan, but I will wait for this one. If it is as ugly as it looks, It may stay on the shelf. Same reason I don't have a Tumbler. I haven't seen a decent one yet. The 100% stuff may be better.
You dont like the 1/50 hw's tumblers?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Yuck, what is that a plastic doorstop?

It's pretty obvious why some people go crazy over these though. A new Batman movie just came out, guys who see them buy all of them. And that's how a dollar doorstop becomes ten.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do, but not at $9.99 plus tax. The only 1/50 I picked up was the 66' the first time around.
I bought a bunch of the 1/50's on sale,i know i bought some extras, let me see if i have an extra tumbler to send you, the came in black and the original tan camo, you mind what color it is?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I really appreciate the offer and it is very generous, but even at half price you would have paid $5.00, then with shipping it would bring it around $15.00. More than what my cheapskate nature would have paid in the first place. If I didn't want to spend that much, I can't ask you to spend more than that. Zellers is closing here soon and I am keeping an eye out for when they discount the diecast aisle. They have already started with clothing. Again, awesome offer and I do appreciate it very much. :)
I bought a bunch of the 1/50's on sale,i know i bought some extras, let me see if i have an extra tumbler to send you, the came in black and the original tan camo, you mind what color it is?

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
It's worth .99... The scalpers probably just get all of them to try and sell for a stupid amount of money. After 2 weeks when the craze dies, it won't be worth nearly as much.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
there is a new basically full display of the bat man and saturday evening post cars at my local wally....if they are still there saterday anyone want to me to check to see if i find some of those? ill basically do even trades to the people who cant find em

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
as long a people are stupid enought to pay it than they will be getting sold at the high price.people have no self control and that's why they can be scalped .if people would learn to calm down and just wait things will show up .keep feeding ebay and things will always be sought after.thank the bend overs who go pay the price at the local flea markets and auction sites.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
They were 6.99 at target a week or so ago when i picked them up for toyotageek.

The thing is that they are limited to about the same production as the treasure hunts.
Noone balks at $5 for a treasure hunt.
I just opened a brand new sealed 72ct shipper and aside from mainlines (and not too many of the good ones from this new case) there was
1- RodZilla
1- Surf Crate TH
1- The Bat.

So they are getting treated like. TH because they seem to have the same production, and also its Dark Knight rises fever right now. All the Batman geeks will pay top dollar for somethig they themselves cannot find

Btw i am not sellig any myself so these are just observations NOT justifications.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But th's aren't rare by any definition, so saying a th production run is like saying theres a million...:p

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's the same thing that happens with ANY of the TV/Movie vehicles that have come out in recent years. I've managed to get all of the ones that I was looking for through waiting, trading with HT Members and more waiting. Once the 'craze' dies down...those of us with patience will be sending them to each other for little or nothing.

I want one (Batman fan), but wouldn't pay more than shipping costs to a friend on HT to get one.

Hide and watch...they'll be everywhere in 2 months.

Cheers
Falcon1

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
I was at the local WallyWorld yesterday. The pegs were filled with Batman HW's, but I didn't even bother looking at them. I'm not into them, plain and simple. I saw that there were several different versions from past movies, but I can't begin to say which is which. To me, the REAL Batmobile will forever be the modified Ford Futura show car from the TV series. If there is anything special that someone wants me to look for there, let me know. I'd guess there were 15-20 Batman HW's there.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I spoke to a Mattel rep yesterday and she said that they essentially make one or 2 of the cars "chase" cars in lower quantities for collectors. The Bat and Rodzilla being those cars for this release. She said it would piss off te collectors if they made and distributed them in the same quantities as te oter mainlines so they make it collectible by making fewer of them. It is a deliberate manufactured scarcity designed to entice collectors and create a buzz and chase for certain cars.

The Bat is different than the 8 batman series cars that were released earlier this year. This one is is expected to be scarcer than the Kitt cars and ateam vans etc those were not htf since they were an existing casting with no retooling required just a little different tampo or base in the a team van's case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts