Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a thread where we discuss the new 1:350 TOS Enterprise but not talk about the gridlines for a change! That seems to de-rail every thread about the new model...

I'd like to talk about lighting. I'm definitely going to get the lighting kit. That kit, along with the very thoughtful inclusion of light friendly features like the wall in the saucer to stick the LED tape to and the wire stays, should make lighting the 1701 a lot less of a headache than my home-grown 1701-A lighting job. The tongue-and-groove fittings built into the hulls should help us with light leaks as well.

I'm thinking of different circuits...I'd like one to turn on the lights but not the motors...and maybe one to independently activate the inboard nacelle lighting strip if I decide to go that route. Shouldn't be too hard I would think to do that.

Love the idea of the clear bridge piece, but not sure how I'd go about working on something so tiny. Paulbo's photo-etch kit might help in that regard....

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I like that the new light kit looks to be modular, with the plug-in architecture, allowing for modification and customization by those who choose to do so.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The big refit always put me off because of the intricate aztec pattern. I considered going the decal route, but can't imagine whole sheet decals sticking for very long or looking good over the long haul. But this model, I am ready to do it.

I figure if I take it slow, do it by the numbers, perhaps it might turn out good enough for my personal display. Yea, this will be the first TOS I've done since the good old days. But I think I'm ready. I'm not so insane about the accuracy as some of these folks are. The thing looks 1000 times better than we've ever seen. Just looks fabulous. And I'm cool with the "G" word. (respecting thread title, please do the same)

Yea, see-through bridge dome, every configuration under the sun(will it have the evil opposite dimension Enterprise version? Dunno), offset bridge, hanger bay, plug-n-play lights/photo etch.-All engineered right along with the model. No BS with aftermarket. It's all in there. Holy crap, what a dream come true.

Yep. I'm so ready for this.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
The big refit always put me off because of the intricate aztec pattern. I considered going the decal route, but can't imagine whole sheet decals sticking for very long or looking good over the long haul. But this model, I am ready to do it.

I figure if I take it slow, do it by the numbers, perhaps it might turn out good enough for my personal display. Yea, this will be the first TOS I've done since the good old days. But I think I'm ready. I'm not so insane about the accuracy as some of these folks are. The thing looks 1000 times better than we've ever seen. Just looks fabulous. And I'm cool with the "G" word. (respecting thread title, please do the same)

Yea, see-through bridge dome, every configuration under the sun(will it have the evil opposite dimension Enterprise version? Dunno), offset bridge, hanger bay, plug-n-play lights/photo etch.-All engineered right along with the model. No BS with aftermarket. It's all in there. Holy crap, what a dream come true.

Yep. I'm so ready for this.
Actually the additional decal sheet shown in modelman's review did include the mirror universe decals.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Actually the additional decal sheet shown in modelman's review did include the mirror universe decals.
This is good news. I thought I saw it.

Was that version different structurally? IE antennas sticking out of the buzzard domes, etc?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heavily decaled skin did have one advantage--it hid any small painting flaws. You won't have that on the 1701. I know I'll have to do a better job painting this one than I did the refit.

On a different topic, I know that the little motors in the nacelles will make noise, but--damn!--isn't that going to look frakkin' cool? :hat:

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Where is everyone gonna keep theirs?
Got a special place? Gonna buy a table specifically for displaying it? Glass case? Hang it? In the *gasp* closet?:confused:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Got a special place? Gonna buy a table specifically for displaying it? Glass case? Hang it? In the *gasp* closet?:confused:
Good question! I have two different 3+ foot Seaview's, two different 16" Jupiter 2's and a 3 foot Refit Enterprise to build before I get to this one..................:confused:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You sound just like my wife!

So I'll give you the same answer I give her: I, uh, don't know yet...

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Anyone making a brass version of the navigational deflector dish? I seem to remember someone did this with the original AMT E. Just curious if someone is doing it with this model.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
I have a place for display. I'm going to take it slow to build. I want an idealized Pike era version (just to be different) and so I know that won't be exactly what we saw onscreen.

I'd love to rig it for sound as well as light. I've got the Star Trek sound f/x CD and I'd love to incorporate some of the sounds into the kit, somewhat similar to what Art Asylum did years ago but expanded.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Someone made brass deflectors for the MR ship. I have one of them. It would be cool to have one for my R2 E.

Oh and I am making my first build into a weathervane.

:wave:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone making a brass version of the navigational deflector dish? I seem to remember someone did this with the original AMT E. Just curious if someone is doing it with this model.
That would be cool...!

I expect some really nice bases for this one as well. I may do a custom one myself.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well, I've ordered one, but, if I do build it (I've not had as much time for building lately), I have no idea where I will put it. But ... I'll find a place.

I'm not sure if a lighting kit will be in the budget, but again, I'd like to add at least some lights to the kit! Would be a shame not to....

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
How did you prevent it from oxidizing? Just curious... do you have to polish it once a month? Did you coat it in some way? Or have you just let it turn green?
I gave it a light coat of flat clear.
-Jim

·
Registered
466 Posts
John! You said the G-word!

If you MUST light them, how 'bout a wash of UV pigment and throw a black light on the beast? Plus, with Christmas coming fast, it's a good time to throw some tinsel over it and replace the engine end caps with REAL balls... and get one (heck get two, one for each side) of those old multi-color spinning "light wheels" for a nice wash of "dynamic lighting." Won't even need Round 2's light kit by the time you're done!

Hell, with all that bling you may as well save some money, just skip the plastic model kit and start with a frozen-pizza cardboard backer, a Red Bull can and a couple state-fair-blue-ribbon-size corn cobs all joined with popsickle sticks and no one would even know.:hat:

(Make sure you watch the taper on the corn cobs so as not to alarm the purists....)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts