Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transformed this Dodge Van into an A-Team Van :thumbsup: I kept the stock wheels on this one, I think they look good :hat: The "glass" was orange, so there wasn't much I could do with it. I ended up coloring the inside with a black Sharpie :wave:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
looks good, im not trying to criticize but when you do lines like that you need to just spray thin thin coats until the color is correct then stop spraying, then you can take some 1000-2000 grit wet sandpaper and sand the edges down then clear and you wont see the differences in paint thickness. ive had it happen before, it can be fixed with some sanding the way it is but you need to be very careful to not sand through the paint around the red stripe. but it is an interesting job done on that van.i just cant control my ocd at times, even when its something as small as a diecast repaint i try to get paint just like a 1:1 car

·
Registered
663 Posts
I like it!! for the roof you could try flat black trim paint and it would look like vinal kind of like the 40 woody!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
even when its something as small as a diecast repaint i try to get paint just like a 1:1 car
If it was a real car, wouldn't they have painted the whole car red first, then masked off the stripe to paint the rest black. I heard you always paint the light colors first because it takes less coats of the darker color to cover up the lighter color than vice versa.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
This is cool.
I've toyed with the idea of painting up my 1:1 '89 Dodge short van like the A-Team van.
But I decided to do something a little more unique when the time comes.

If it was a real car, wouldn't they have painted the whole car red first, then masked off the stripe to paint the rest black. I heard you always paint the light colors first because it takes less coats of the darker color to cover up the lighter color than vice versa.
In the case of a relatively small detail like the stripe on the A-Team van, it wouldn't be standard practice to paint the whole van red first. Doing so would defeat the purpose of using less paint, because we're talking a whole lot of red paint that would never be seen, as well as extra time and labor involved. The upper half of the real van was like a primer grey, so the dark red stripe could easily have been added onto that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Looks good! Obviously, this is the weekend cruiser with the party interior and big glass roof!

Mr T gotta cruise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts