Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I may have more than one reply, but I'll start right here:

"This is the design philosophy of the Thing: Take the basics of the Beetle—an engine, powertrain, and seats—and plop them in an unfinished metal box. There's no front grille, the bumper is an afterthought, and nobody bothered to round the fenders."

No front grille? What the heck would a rear engined, air cooled automobile do with a front grille? Really? As for the bumper: I pulled mine out of the mud with that bumper plenty of times, and it stayed right where it belonged. I've always thought of the Thing as a functional masterpiece.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's quite right. He even put the DeLorean in the list so...he's obviously not very qualified. :freak:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I could tell he was a idiot as soon as I saw the beautiful Pacer and Gremlin....Well I might have to give him the Pacer even though I like it. Money and space not being a problem I would buy a Pacer. For a year or so they put a 304 v8 in a Pacer and that would be my choice.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
He is an idiot alright. I agree with a lot of them (including the El Camino pictured, but that is the only El Camino that belongs on the list), but then a lot of the cars he has on the list are so ugly even a blind person could have picked them (which leaves you wondering about the designers at the time) but there are a lot of cars that don't belong on that list, that is for sure.

I do, however, particularly like his description of the Toyota Prius. That one he hit dead on.

Overall, however, his list totally evaporates his credibility.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I do, however, particularly like his description of the Toyota Prius. That one he hit dead on.

Overall, however, his list totally evaporates his credibility.
I agree. The list must be pretty current, as the Scion iQ is on it. But how could he have missed the truly hideous Nissan Juke? And what are the LM002 and Enzo doing on that list? At least the Aztek made it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
There are definitely a few cars missing and a few that shouldn't be there. I'd bet my last buck that if you roll up to a light in that Lambo Enzo, no one is saying "Ah man now that is an ugly car!"

I didn't see the K Car there which should get an award for being as ugly as it is a POS.

The Cimmeron gets my vote though. Let's take a Chevy Celebrity and through some Caddy decals on it...and it's like everyone can now have a Caddy. I have a feeling there werent too many people rolling up to the country club in a Cimmeron.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
"50 Ugliest". Another filler article written on a slow news day.

I'd bet my last buck that if you roll up to a light in that Lambo Enzo, no one is saying "Ah man now that is an ugly car!"
Probably not, just because it is a Ferrari. But personally I've never thought the Enzo was a very good looking car either for the reasons mentioned in the article. It wasn't made to be beautiful.

I agree the Cimarron was a supremely bad move, and cheapened the Cadillac brand, especially with a 4-banger under hood. But I wouldn't call it any less attractive than any other J-body... Okay maybe a little.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I can't believe he put the Bricklin, DeLorean, Lagonda and Twingo on there. I think they're all generally regarded as design successes, or at least noble attempts at individuality (Lagonda & Bricklin). IMO the Twingo and DeLorean are both just about perfectly styled for what they were meant to be.

No one ever seems to mention the car that I consider to be the ugliest - the Daimler SP-250 roadster from 1960:

Ugh! - talk about your committee-itis!! What could be uglier?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
"50 Ugliest". Another filler article written on a slow news day.

Probably not, just because it is a Ferrari. But personally I've never thought the Enzo was a very good looking car either for the reasons mentioned in the article. It wasn't made to be beautiful.

I agree the Cimarron was a supremely bad move, and cheapened the Cadillac brand, especially with a 4-banger under hood. But I wouldn't call it any less attractive than any other J-body... Okay maybe a little.
I remember I was in the market for a new car when the J cars and K cars were on the market. I tried them all and the K cars won hands down. We laugh at them now but at the time they beat their competitors hands down. And for what they were designed for they looked pretty good - beat their competitiors there too. I came home with a great little Chrysler E-Class that didn't give me a bit of trouble in the six years or so I owned it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
No one ever seems to mention the car that I consider to be the ugliest - the Daimler SP-250 roadster from 1960. What could be uglier?
Maybe I'm weird, but the Daimler SP-250/Dart appeals to me. I don't think it's a bad-looking car by any stretch of the imagination. As for what could be uglier, the Pontiac Aztek...see also my previous comments about the Nissan Juke. That one truly has a face only a mother could love!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I could tell he was a idiot as soon as I saw the beautiful Pacer and Gremlin....Well I might have to give him the Pacer even though I like it. Money and space not being a problem I would buy a Pacer. For a year or so they put a 304 v8 in a Pacer and that would be my choice.
I've always loved Gremlins as well. As for the Pacer: the wagon version with the wood stickies was just plain cool. :thumbsup:
I think these lists are generally written by people that have no appreciation for the times in which the cars were built.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
he about hit that list dead on,except for the prowler

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Nah, too many of those cars are on my own wish list for me think he's doing anything except spouting hot air.

But then again, I like strange cars. Plus I love Elky's no matter the year, and if you want a smaller version, you can't beat the Brat!

·
Registered
350 Posts

Oops forgive me I prefixed Enzo before with Lambo!

I don't think it's the prettiest Ferrari but I don't think it's "ugly" either. Having said that, it may have made the list just because he needed a high end sports car to throw on there.

Spot on with the Cimmarron...it's definitely a bit...uglier :thumbsup:

As far as the Prowler goes, another car I can't imagine anyone saying "Wow now that is a car I wouldn't be caught dead in!" Personally I'm not the biggest fan of it, there is something about the front end aesthetics that remind me of a P/T Cruiser. Then again I wouldn't give anyone a hard time if they threw me the keys to theirs.

I'd be interested in seeing this guy's list of the 50 most beautiful cars. That should be a hoot!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts