Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday, my littlest racer and I took a trip down to visit Marc and Marcus, also known as smokinhos. The plan was for Jonny, my 7-year-old, to get all into playing some PS3 games with Marcus, while me and Marc talked about the REALLY important stuff... slot cars. And talk about slot cars we did.

WOW. Marc's collection had my head spinning. AFX case? Check. Vintage Tyco case? Check. Tyco NASCAR case? Check. Tomy/Lifelike/miscellaneous case? Check. Tyco test shots case? Check. Prototypes and unicorns case? Check. Plastic Rubbermaid tubs full of doubles and extras and carded parts and other stuff? Check, check, check, check, check and check, with a side order of check. I got to see a lot of cool stuff that I previously had only seen in pictures (or not at all). Plus, we did a little trading... I brought Marc a few nice NIP items that filled holes in his collection, and I ended up with a bunch of very presentable runner bodies, some of which are almost too nice to run.

My favorite acquisition from that day happens to be something I've developed an odd fetish for lately... the early '70s Tyco Corvette. Yeah, I know, it happens to be one of the ugliest HO cars in existence. So I shot it here with a couple other ugly Tycopros that I have grown to love, mounted on a surprisingly smooth Tycopro chassis that I don't remember where I got.

Ever since I got the Esposito book, my eyes have been opened and I have developed a new appreciation for Tyco stuff. Of course, this now means I have to start looking for more Tyco Silver Streak chrome/dayglo stuff as well as the Tyco 'Vette in red/black and in blue/yellow. :tongue:

I am really getting a kick out of running these lately, especially the 'Vette and Mustang... I think the big heavy sled bodies help keep the potentially twitchy TP chassis settled. Me and Jonny spent a little time running them side by side this evening; it was pretty cool. :cool:

thanks again, man!

--rick

·
Registered
755 Posts
Visit... Tyco Pro Vette..

Holy ... I wondered where that Vette went!!!!

Actually no, I didn't. I am happy to see it is where it will be loved. Looking at that car again makes me Urp a little in my mouth. Ok- so I must admit the Mustang is a body I DO like, and have to appreciate any attempt at an A/C Cobra, but that Vette is just as ugly in a digital pic as it was here...

Glad you had a good time, and judging by the fact that your little man didn't want to leave, I think he had fun too. I guess I assumed every kid knew how to play an actually pinball game. Wish I had a track to run though, but that might have distracted us from the other fun part- just talkin about slot cars.

My wife asked if it was safe to come home, I told her I was coming down off my slot car discussion high. It's not often you get to sit and talk face to face about slots in this neck of the woods. Heck- that was the first time in probably 6 or 7 years a fellow slothead has even seen my collection in person, but understandly so considering my wife's completely honest and accurate assessment of us.

Talk to you soon.. It truly was my pleasure

-Marc and Marcus

1 - 2 of 2 Posts