Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 of our 6 BRP cars hit the track this week... after a couple of furious nites of building we ran them for about 300 laps last nite on our road course and after some experimentation with the traction sauce we managed to get to almost the same laptimes as we do with our MRS4's and we have 8 years experience with them so I'm guessing that with a couple of more race nites and some tweaking we should have them down to pretty much the same times.
They got t boned and slammed into the wall pretty good with no ill effects.
one kingpin stripped but i think it was due to a bit of overtightening on installation..

The truck bodies are at the body shop for paint so we just threw these on for the first track nite.
Mine had a bit of chatter going on from the rear but i used fluid on the rear damper that was too thick i think.
Anyways thanks Bud for creating a great product it is very worthy of being our number ! race vehicle for the next many years...

part of our track...
Were north of Toronto and still no snow but thank god for indoor places to play.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I couldn't agree more.
Thanks Bud!

My pic looks the same, only one I took all night...... picture taking cuts into racing time. LOL

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stiction??

so I took and polished the kingpins and the front suspension still seems a bit sticky...
Is there a "special" sauce that any of the tuning wizards recommend for kingpin lube?
or do i just need to bounce it off the boards a bit more to break it in?

I pulled out the bolink legend kingpins and knuckles and they are exactly the same .
The Legend had abot 30,000 laps on it and they seem smooth i'm sure the lil guy will probably loosen up with some more usage...

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
so I took and polished the kingpins and the front suspension still seems a bit sticky...
Is there a "special" sauce that any of the tuning wizards recommend for kingpin lube?
or do i just need to bounce it off the boards a bit more to break it in?

I pulled out the bolink legend kingpins and knuckles and they are exactly the same .
The Legend had abot 30,000 laps on it and they seem smooth i'm sure the lil guy will probably loosen up with some more usage...
DJ66 >> Thanks for info !!!!

Somtimes the king pin hole will tighten up when the stub axle is pressed in. Just run a 1/8th drill to loosen up some. Do Not use silicone diff paste it will bind them up. BRP silicone lube for king pins and diff. 100 weight shock oil for rear damper plates :thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DJ66 >> Thanks for info !!!!

Somtimes the king pin hole will tighten up when the stub axle is pressed in. Just run a 1/8th drill to loosen up some. Do Not use silicone diff paste it will bind them up. BRP silicone lube for king pins and diff. 100 weight shock oil for rear damper plates :thumbsup:
Ya i mis read that 100 wt shock oil and used 50.000 wt diff lube lolol.
it was pretty welll dampened to death especially when the temp was cold..
fortunately its pretty easy to clean off and redo with 100.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its race nite for us tonite (as it is almost every wendesday) there are 6 of us we race 5- 12 lap races or 6 depending on battery dump.
and between 4pm and about 12 we will burn 9-10 batteries or around 700 laps.
after the first nite out with the BRP car have noticed a bit of front tire wear towards the outside of the tire. the Bolink cars did that too and we tried to bend the kingpins a bit to add some neg camber but usually they just break if you try to bend them. Not saying it needs to be done just an observation... maybe add a lil sauce to the inside of the fronts to get the wear back to being even but the front sticks pretty good and so far have only been saucing the rears.
at 700 ish laps a nite i suspect we will be placing a tire order pretty soon we did order a spare set each when we purchased the cars and the stock foam works great as everyone said it would.

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
Its race nite for us tonite (as it is almost every wendesday) there are 6 of us we race 5- 12 lap races or 6 depending on battery dump.
and between 4pm and about 12 we will burn 9-10 batteries or around 700 laps.
after the first nite out with the BRP car have noticed a bit of front tire wear towards the outside of the tire. the Bolink cars did that too and we tried to bend the kingpins a bit to add some neg camber but usually they just break if you try to bend them. Not saying it needs to be done just an observation... maybe add a lil sauce to the inside of the fronts to get the wear back to being even but the front sticks pretty good and so far have only been saucing the rears.
at 700 ish laps a nite i suspect we will be placing a tire order pretty soon we did order a spare set each when we purchased the cars and the stock foam works great as everyone said it would.
Make front end softer or slightly more sag. sauce some and take steering through out. They are prob skidding. 700 laps a night is pretty good !!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx Bud tips from the master are great... I'm gonna run it as it is for the first couple of batts and then try a change and see what it does.
our track is in a quonset hut and the temperature is cold when we start but gets up to 55F or so in a couple of hours so we have that to deal with as well. the outside temp was -11C this morning or about 12F.
Prob not a ot different than the south side of lake Erie.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was running sauce on the inside of front tire, no outside wear. The painter is a slacker (I'm the painter), old bodies for another night.
I'll take all the tips I can get, thanks Bud. Unfair advantage for me is OK, LOL.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was running sauce on the inside of front tire, no outside wear. The painter is a slacker (I'm the painter), old bodies for another night.
I'll take all the tips I can get, thanks Bud. Unfair advantage for me is OK, LOL.
now we just gotta buy the "secret sauce"

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
You might also want to try some graphite powder on the kingpins. That is after you drill them out once installing the axle.

I run that on mine and it is smooth as glass. On our track I do not like any dampening on the front springs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so three of us on the track wed nite and 4 batteries thru the sc18 and 4 thru the MRS4.
Really having trouble getting the sc18 to be consistant it really like to try to spin on power out of the corners but only turning left its great turning right.
messed with the diff a bit but didnt seem to make any difference. One of our guys has his dialed he was down to a 6.90 second lap with his sc18 and 6.75 with his m18 i think i got a 6.60 with my rs4 and 6.99 with sc18 but despite the decent lap time Imm finding pretty hard to get consistant decent laps in.
advise?
checked the tweak and its good
Road course BTW
on carpet

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
so three of us on the track wed nite and 4 batteries thru the sc18 and 4 thru the MRS4.
Really having trouble getting the sc18 to be consistant it really like to try to spin on power out of the corners but only turning left its great turning right.
messed with the diff a bit but didnt seem to make any difference. One of our guys has his dialed he was down to a 6.90 second lap with his sc18 and 6.75 with his m18 i think i got a 6.60 with my rs4 and 6.99 with sc18 but despite the decent lap time Imm finding pretty hard to get consistant decent laps in.
advise?
checked the tweak and its good
Road course BTW
on carpet
Make sure You run the diff with a slight amount of slip.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pretty sure we have the diff too tight next week is BRP tuning week... so we will concentrate on nothing but tuning until we get it right.
mikedw has it dialed in he lapped us regularly with brp yet we still got some good laps in just not consistant.
Thanks for the tips
dont think the front is rolling over it all SEEMS to be a rear end thing but you know how those thing go sometimes.
tire diameter is stock minus about 600 laps wear.
I have to remember to NOT sauce the fronts and only do the rears had lots of steering

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How often do you guys typically go between diff rebuilds?
we usually went about 3 race nites with the MRS4 then apart for cleaning but the rings and balls have been in there for over a year with no problems
was gonna do a quick cleanup on the BRP after 2 race nites to see how they look.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts