Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering about this, saw it at a hobby store but not much info is given on the box. Is it any good? Can you really convert ANY online image into a decal? What type of printer works best with this? If its not that great, what should I be looking into? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
It is for inkjet printrers and does a pretty good job. However the decals are translucent and do not work well with dark colors. Great on a white car or light color car

Roger Corrie

·
Registered
279 Posts
Save your money...
I was disapointed with mine,felt like it was a trick to get you to BUY the upgrade on line to be able to import you own stuff.

You can do just as good by importing pictures to a word processor like microsoft works.

Like Roger said, the inkjet decals are translucent but I've found it helps to use a good photo quality cartridge.

However I do like and use the testors paper and sealer.
Zig

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Avery clear mailing labels: $20 for 20 sheets.
Krylon Clear Gloss: $2.99 a can

I print my own on the mailing lable, clearcoat them and viola! Same with the testors paper, best used on lighter color cars or when applied to white monocote trim sheets and then cut out. This does work great for larger scale RC and slot cars.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I might just hold off for the time being. Its just hard to find anyone making decent police, military, taxicab, etc decals...

·
Registered
807 Posts
decals

I found all sorts of decals at the local hobby store here. Everything from decals for a HO gas Station to Drag sponser decals. They are a dry tranfer type and work great when cleared over.They are from a company called Woodland. Decals for HO trains..

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I forget the brand... I bought years ago and still use it sometimes, but I found it at a hobby shop and they supplied both white and transparent decal paper. As long as I printed them out at high res, they looked just fine.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Haven't tried it but refer people to this site where they sell white backed water slide decal paper. Some day I want to try it with my PC decal creation instructions;

http://www.paper-paper.com/SuperCal.html

I have used the same system Pete is talking about with a lot of success but you are limited to lighter colored backgrounds. I did this car with address labels and a PC years ago and it still looks good:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Awesome!!! Slott V :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I must be doing mine about the same way... Adobe Photo Deluxe!
Never tried the clear label paper though, a guy could do lottsa-lottsa customs with that pack.
All I'm doing different is using a word document instead of the avery template.

For dark colored cars, while your erasing the blue background in photo deluxe, use the paintbrush and change the background color to the closest color you can select to the car body color. Then print on white decal sheets.

Zig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts