Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone have a template for drilling the servo mount holes in a new Shorty SSE Pro-2 Chassis?

What will placing the servo too far back do? Will it produce less Ackerman?

What is the amount of Ackerman that is normally run? Is there visually much difference between the LF and the RF when the wheels are turned?

Thanks

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've been drilling my holes .850" back from the middle of the shortest front end mounting holes per Mike Valantine advise when the 0700 car first came out.The closer to parallel the tie rods are will give you more akerman.Its easiest to see the effects of this by placing a straight edge parallel to your tire on each side of the car.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
This such i difficult question to answer due to the fact that there are so many different servos out there. The other thing is if you run carpet or concrete, the carpet guys seem to run the servo farther back as the concrete guys farhter forward. Your best bet is to pick up some hyperdrive adjustable servo mounts and just pick a middle locations so you can move it forward and back so you can try different posistions out. i was recomending .850 back for a futaba 9102 servo. most futaba servos are the same distance between output shaft (servo saver) and mounting tabs. but with somany others out there with shorter mounting lengths theres no right answer. just make sure you have the holes the same distance from the front end not angled in the car.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks!

Bob Wright, Thank you for the drilling info.

Roy, I’ve never run the car yet. I bought it from a fellow racer and I just bought the shorty classis for it from Bruce at RC4LESS. I will probably run it Short up front and Short in the rear. If you or anyone else has a recommendation, please let me know!

I will be racing the first on a banked asphault track (Akron, Oh) on the 18th of September but after that, I will be racing on flat carpet oval tracks with approximately 90, 140 and 190 foot run lines.

Mike, Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it. I’ve been running Ad10 cars for 3 years now and I decided to upgrade to a Pro-2. I’m really excited to try the car. As far as servos, I am going to be using a Futaba Gearless Servo. I’m not sure of the model #, but it’s small. It also has a small servo saver. Should I look into getting a larger servo saver? I run larger ones, but this car came with a small one. I really notice that when I turn the wheels with the small servo saver, that the left wheel turns many degrees further than the right wheel. Is this ok or will is scrub speed quite a bit in the corners? I have the servo mounts that come with the Team Kit, so it has the 3 positions on it. I’m not sure of the size of the Futaba 9102 servo, but I’m sure it’s a small one too. I’ll bet that the dimensions of my servo and the 9102 are pretty close. I’ll drill the holes at the 0.850” dimension.

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have been runnig 5/8 back from the center of the back screw on the arm. the servo is a hitec. this is on carpet if you would like e-mail me and i will share a setup for carpet.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
race3737 said:
I just bought the shorty classis for it from Bruce at RC4LESS. I will probably run it Short up front and Short in the rear. If you or anyone else has a recommendation, please let me know!

I will be racing the first on a banked asphalt track (Akron, Oh) on the 18th of September.
Race3737, I run the shorty at Classic. Run it long in front, short in the rear.
The track is about 285' runline and short in front short in rear could be a bit twitchy to drive on that long of a track.

By the way, what is your name? Glad you can make it to our race.

Thanks
Eric Hutkay
Team Hyperdrive/BSR/SRC/PRS/KC Motors/Protoform

If you need anything else just ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts