Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tecumseh OVRM60-21803C engine on Snapper Self Propelled.

Problem: Mower will run only at a very slow speed. When I open the throttle plate just a little, the mower chokes out and quits. Sometimes it backfires. It seems that the gas/air mixture is too rich.

Background: When I got the mower, the governor arm had been bent several times by the previous owner. The mower ran at a very, very high speed. I tried adjusting the arm, but finally bought a new governor arm.

The Tecumseh Technicians Handbook has the following on Governor Adjustment:

"With the engine stopped, loosen the screw holding the governor clamp on the governor lever. Rotate the clamp in a direction that will force the throttle shaft open and allow the governor follower arm to rest on the governor spool. Push the governor lever connected to the throttle to the wide open position. Hold the lever and clamp in this position while tightening the screw."

I set the arm according to the Handbook. I loosened the screw. I pushed the governor arm counterclockwise so the throttle was wide open. while holding the throttle wide open, I then rotated the clamp counterclockwise until it stopped. I then tightened the screw.

The governor arm moves the throttle back and forth. The spring seems to be working properly.

The carb has an adjustment screw on the bottom of the bowl. Adjusting the screw has not helped. I took apart the carb and cleaned it with Carb Cleaner and compressed air. No difference. I even put another Tecumseh Carb that I know works and does not have any needle adjustments and the mower would only run at a very slow speed. Choked out when throttle plate was opened.

I know I am missing something. Suggestions?

·
Registered
304 Posts
check any and all lines/tubes there might be something it by chance. take the beather off and crank it over and try it that way. if it works just take some panny holse and cover where the beather is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts