Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All;

Haven't been in here for a while. It's good to be back.
I have a 9 h.p. Tecumseh snowthrower engine. It starts fine the engine is constantly hunting...I have done the following:

1) checked compression, it's good

2) Cleaned the fuel system completely (including carb.) and filled with fresh gas.

3) Adjusted the governor.

4) Changed the spark plug. has good spark

5) Inspected the flywheel key.

6) checked the atmospheric vent on the carb.

What am I missing? One guy told me the carb. was bad. How can that be? One time it ran fine and now it's not. The carb. looks like new. Any ideas??

Thanks;

Jake T.

·
Registered
98 Posts
take a very very close look at the bowl nut and make sure there is absolutely no scale build up or something that even minutely obstructs any of the holes in it. did you happen to replace needle and seat and o-rings on ventricle (sp) tube if applicable?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Post the engine model number so we can see what model carburetor you have. Generally doing a carburator clean does cut it, you need to soak and rebuild the carb to get the best results.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My usual reply is;
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up, it is usually the problem(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble, being very careful not to damage the bowl gasket and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z120/geogrubb/tec_bowl_nut.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post the engine model number so we can see what model carburetor you have. Generally doing a carburator clean does cut it, you need to soak and rebuild the carb to get the best results.
I have cleaned the carb. Replaced the fuel shut-off seat and needle. The model number is:LH318SA

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you get the seat in correctly? grove side in first? does your bowl nut look like this? View attachment 90543
I did get the seat in correctly. The bowl nut does not look like the one you show. Much shorter and does not have the metering holes, however I will take it apart tomorrow to make sure I'm not mistaken. I'll post after I look at it again.

Thanks;

Jake...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts