Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TVM-195 8 horse Tecumseh which I put on a old Snapper around 15 years ago never had a problem with It until last summer It started surging when you first started It and started running smooth after It warmed up I went through the carb. and It ran good the rest of the summer, It started doing the same thing this summer only after It warms up and runs around 15 minutes It goes to cutting out and popping went through the carb. again did no good so I took the cover off and cleaned the rust of the flywheel and coil also did no good the carb. is the Cal. legal type with no mixture screw or gov. adjustment other than bending the rod. I can get a new carb for around 50 bucks but wanted to find out If you good folks had any ideas before I spent the money It also has no valve adjustment or doesn't show one in the book.
Thanks for any help
wrs1945

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Could possibly be a valve issue, or even a leaking head gasket. A bad spark plug can also produce a similar condition.

All valves can be adjusted, the procedure for an "L" head engine is different then for an "OHV" but they can still be adjusted. At the very least you should check your valve lash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the shop manual I didn't have one and I will check the lash I did check the gas cap I was a certified Harley Davidson wrench for all of my working life and kinda' know about those things I also put in a new plug, I had the quick ref. and saw no valve measurement for the TVM so assumed there was none but the shop manual should go into more detail. Thanks Again For The Help.
wrs1945

1 - 5 of 5 Posts