Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a Tecumseh 6 hp hor. with a starter pull problem. when pulling the rope, it has to be pulled sharply to get it to catch to turn over the engine. what exactly should i look at replacing and is this one of those that i can take apart or will i have little parts scattered everywhere. just doing a little recon before i open it up. i would like to get this fixed to see if it will start or not, and then go into the carb and clean it out. it is on a old sears craftsman garden tiller (8 H.P. CHAIN DRIVE REAR TINE TILLER - 247299780) i am looking for a parts manual or a exploded view if someone knows where to get one. i downloaded the one from sears but i am looking for better pics if possible.

number on motor 6 hp
143716012 ser0239d

sears serial to Tecumseh number
143.716012 HM70-132014B

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The friction washer on the starter assembly may need to be replaced or the retaining screw may just need to be tightened. There needs to be some resistance to the retainer so the starter dogs will come out of the starter reel when the rope is pulled.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, for the reply, i will give that a try. i took off the starter today and cleaned and tightened everything. i may have to get a retaining screw. got the engine running and need to make some final adjustments to run a little smoother. will give that a try

1 - 3 of 3 Posts