Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a stihl KM130R split boom extended hedger i need to get fixed. the retainer plate on the plastic timing gear broke, the piece got wedged. took the block apart, someone re-arranged my work bench so i lost certain notes and parts not where i left them including timing details. does anyone know where i could obtain details like this online?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stihl

I googled around lastnite and found a free manuals website that isn't free, but only $10. I'll pay that to fix anything small, but have to wait til next week to get the $$$. meantime if anyone can answer the question of crank and gear position for timing that would be great.

tom

stihl KM130R split boom extended hedger block in pieces and need to know timing specifics.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Stihl makes it hard for the average person (myself included)to find repair information.I did find this info on Youtube and I "think" it will help with your reassembly.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect

that's exactly what i needed.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still paying $10 payday so I don't have to bug you guys all the time. I'll post the link as soon as I do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one more question

what would cause like a vapor lock? re-assembled the motor, sent it out for use and it came back the same day. turns over very hard almost unable to pull the cord at a small point in the revolution.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you removed the flywheel,are you sure you have .012 gap between the flywheel and coil?A coil set to close to the magnets could cause this.Are valves set to .004 clearance? These are just guesses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
what about

the flywheel was never removed from the crank and this has happened to wappers that haven't been apart yet. caking up in the head would create a smaller space as well. if the spark plug is not the right size (bigger/longer without touching the cylinder, leaving less space in the combustion chamber) wouldn't that boost the compression too much? it does seem to be at top dead center in a stroke when it gets difficult to pull. that's the idea behind milling more surface off of a vehicle engines heads to boost compression right?

really guys. i appreciate all the help. saving the boss $100 plus a pop for a $13 gasket replacement has made me a bit more valuable.

thank you, tom

·
Registered
128 Posts
As USMCGRUNT said you should check the valve clearance as this is the most common cause of to much compression.The first thing I check on a Stihl 4 mix unit is the compression.If it's hard to pull the rope I set the valves.
Stilh sells a special feeler gauge but you might be able to trim a regular feeler gauge to fit the saddle on the rocker.
I've been a Stilh certified tech for 10 years,I've seen this problem many times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

just checkin details. you mean clearance to the push pins correct. where could i get a proper feeler gauge set?

·
Registered
128 Posts
A Stilh dealer should be able to sell you one,when the Four Mix engines first came out they included one with the unit.Price should be less than $5.00.
All it is is a .004 inch feeler gauge with a very small end to fit in the rocker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts