Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've bought a few lots of cars and chassis justy to mess around with and see what I can learn. If you guys could take a look at my attached photos and help me identify the different types I would surley appreciate it.

The first two photos look to be of all TYCO. Can anyone explain the different types?

The next two appear to be Matchbox which I know little about.

The last I have no idea about. The body is a NASCAR #15 Ford.

Please educate me!

Thanks
Brian A

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
These are Tyco Magnum 440X2 chassis (narrow chassis on the left, wide 'pan' chassis on the right). The X2s have two separate traction mags - the earlier original Magnum 440 had a single bar magnet.

This is a Tyco HP7 chassis, what I regard to be the best slider of the late bar magnet cars, easily more fun the the Magnum 440 and Tomy Turbo in a stock configuration.

The Matchbox, as stated, won't work on regular Tyco, AFX, LL, etc. track without some mods.

The other two chassis are Tyco Curvehuggers I believe, but someone who is positive can identify them just to be sure.
Check the bold type above.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
in the 2nd pic from the left, thats a droparm TycoPro (the black one; needs its pickup assembly) and a Curvehugger (the silver one; needs its flux collectors for magnatraction) as 'Doba stated. Someone will want that tycopro for parts, provided the plastic frame isnt broken or damaged. Even then, you can prolly get at least a couple bucks out of it. The CH can be completed and ran pretty easily, and I have a tutorial in the tuning and performance forum on how to set up one of those to be a screamer.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,337 Posts
I've always wondered if the Tyco TCR pick up shoes with the wings would work on those Matchbox chassis with little modification.
Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Rich, thats exactly what I was referring to. A little filing on the skis and the little 'hangers' on the front of the chassis for the skis to hook onto is what you have to do. Then you gotta remove the stock endbell of the motor and replace it with one that takes brush barrels--or just swap the motor entirely.

When I get in from work, Ill post some pics on a few that Ive converted. And btw, in some cases the matchbox Powertrack cars (available in the U.K.) will work with no mods at all.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great info. All I ever used as a kid were tgets so these other chassis are new to me. Just learned one of my 440X2's is cooked. The brush tubes are melted into the chassis. At least this gives me a Tyco to tear into without fear of breaking it!

Brian A

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Rich, TCR shoes are pretty easy to come by. SlotCarCentral, ncp hobbies, etc still have them NOS. Even the hobbystore here near me has some in the package. But the best place to get them is EvilBay. You can get complete running chassis on there fairly cheap. And dont forget that the arms on these are pretty strong. You harvest the pickups, armatures, motor brushes and springs, and you can prolly still sell the remains of the chassis back and recoup some of your money.

And Ive snapped some shots of my matchbox chassis, and Im posting something in the tuning and performance forum right now. So check in there for it, and Ill spill the beans on how to convert them for 'normal' track and Ive got a couple pics of what can be done with them.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Rich, TCR shoes are pretty easy to come by. You can get complete running chassis on there fairly cheap. And dont forget that the arms on these are pretty strong. You harvest the pickups, armatures, motor brushes and springs, and you can prolly still sell the remains of the chassis back and recoup some of your money.
I converted a number of TCR chassis to slotted and they are fun to drive. Just drill a small hole in the front bar and glue in a small nail for the guide pin. Then glue the front wheels straight.

You have to bend the shoes a little to get them to work best. But you'll find a lot of them have much less downforce than 440s or 440-X2s and they will slide. And the shoe setup is great because there is so little up and down movement in them.

Plus, the front bar on the narrow pan TCR chassis fits right under the wing of an Indy/F1 body and will probably offer it some protection in a crash. In fact, I have a couple Indy bodies missing one side of the front wing; I'm just going to paint the front bar on the chassis and it will look like the wing on the body, especially when the car is running.

Just be aware that not all bodies fit under a TCR chassis. Only certain types of Indy/F1 bodies. You'll also notice that the mold for a Lamborghini is different depending upon whether or not the body was designed for a 400-X2 or a TCR chassis. I think all Lambo bodies will go on a 440-X2, but not all will go on a TCR.

Joe

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
It might just be me but some of the content on the Gunnerbill web site appears to have been borrowed from other web sites, including the Tyco chassis write-ups and pictures. I seem to recall the original author not being very complementary of the HP7 and this write appears to be just a copy of the original article. I seem to recall "Sapien" or some name like that being in the mix.

So you have to ask yourself whether the review reflects the opinion of the authors or is just rehashed web fodder. It's getting harder and harder to tell where web content is really coming from these days because it is trivial to lift content from one site and land it on another. Without some sort of signing of content, you never really know the true source.

Case in point, the Tyco advertising posters on the above site are directly linked the following site:

http://www.supervipersystems.com/VargoSpeedway/HO_History/Tyco82a.jpg

The magnet theory material is taken directly from Slick7, with "thanks" noted but does that imply permission was granted? Why bother copying in someone else's content? What does it add? The Tyco 440-X2 hop-up tips are from Milt Surratt (raceaslot.com) which is now a dead web site. Maybe this is recycling?

So the question is whether aggregating content from various other sources is really providing a whole lot of value. Maybe it's a matter of recycling because some web sites do go silent and the content would otherwise be lost. Maybe I'm overly cynical but there does not appear to be a whole heck of a lot of genuinely new and interesting content out there in the HO slot car hobby web ecosystem. It does always seem to drive to the same bottom line at some point: someone is selling something and is using their web site for self promotion, with a little fluff thrown in around the edges.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
"Dishonorable Mention"

Hmmmmmm...

Yeah the ole boy didnt have much nice to say if anything at all. Barely even a "How do you do?" .

If I've learned anything hangin' around here, it's that slot car chassis are what you make of them, nothing more and nothing less. A collection of parts that fit together; many of which still require the human elements of knowledge, passion, and (OMG) EFFORT, to really make them zing.

Obviously this guy didnt have the time or desire for the HP-7.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts