Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,691 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, but I kind of like it compared to some things I've seen them do. My expectations from Mattel are somewhat lower than some of the other diecast companies though. I've found some really nice castings by them, and I've even come to accept some of their wheels (the Batmobile, for example is at least of a normal size)...but I just can't for the life of me figure out why they can't just save the really off-beat exagerations for the fantasy cars and kid related stuff. I think they would reach a broader market. My opinion.

· Registered
3,691 Posts
Bossman said:
Ummm mainline Hot Wheels are kid related stuff.... they more or less eliminated the adult line when they got rid of the black boxes. Now you need to be in the RLC for that kind of stuff... and even that is having it problems with kid related stuff... check out the sELECTIONs voting that is going on now if you want to know what I am talking about.
I would be interested in checking out the selections voting. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction? I'd be interested to know more about how Mattel views their main HW's line. I realize the idea behind the line is to produce something kids will like and be able to afford cheaply. But I'm sure they also know that these cars are bought by kids of all ages. I think the overall variety in their castings reflect that as well. But at the same time, some of their tweeking I find fun, while other times, it seems like someone in charge just wanted to put their stamp on a thing that might not necassarily need it. I've seen a lot of arbitrary changes in business of this nature. It happens more than most people know...and it sounds as if this particular casting was a victim of politics rather than the designer's intention. To me, as an artist, this sort of thing drives me crazy. Put simply, it doesn't matter how good an idea is. By the time all the chiefs at the corporate round table finish poking it, it's never the same.

Both Mattel and the HW's line have been around a long time. So don't get me wrong, they must be doing something right. But even as a kid, I kept my fantasy cars and realistic ones in two different catagories. That hasn't really changed much. So I can't help wondering, as I go from board to board, how many people feel similar...and more people would universally flock to HW's if the tweeking was kept to a minimum among most castings that are replicas of 1/1 cars?

This is probably an old debate, but how many folks feel the same? Could the HW's main line have it both ways, or would that take away the appeal/sales/whatever?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.