Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to target last night...nothin new for weeks...but then stopped there this afternoon and they musta stocked last night!!!
Finally the GTX1!

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
jedimario said:
Definately coulda done without the "tooning" on this one. Had great potential, but the great minds at Mattel prevail again...
I must admit, I thought the same thing when I picked it up, and put it back. Thought it was something, then I realized it wasn't. Another miss from Mattel in my opinion. Seems to be the norm lately.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
jedimario said:
Definately coulda done without the "tooning" on this one. Had great potential, but the great minds at Mattel prevail again...
Friend of mine actually did the design for the GTX1. Let's just say he's mildly dissapointed with the size of wheels and some other minor stuff that Mattel took freedom with.

At least the color is mostly right. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just got back from my friendly Target!!!! Picked up 2 red Camaro convertibles,a new Wastelander bike,the 67 GTO ,2 white Chargers,a badass 55,3 of the Silverado's w/bike,and 2 mystery cars!!! This is the first new finds in quite a while!! Not a Batmobile or Hunt in the whole place though

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, but I kind of like it compared to some things I've seen them do. My expectations from Mattel are somewhat lower than some of the other diecast companies though. I've found some really nice castings by them, and I've even come to accept some of their wheels (the Batmobile, for example is at least of a normal size)...but I just can't for the life of me figure out why they can't just save the really off-beat exagerations for the fantasy cars and kid related stuff. I think they would reach a broader market. My opinion.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting you're really into the GTX1. Only reason I say that is that they're mildly peg warmers around here. There were ~10 on the pegs yesterday.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Dragnet_Supporter said:
...but I just can't for the life of me figure out why they can't just save the really off-beat exagerations for the fantasy cars and kid related stuff.
Ummm mainline Hot Wheels are kid related stuff.... they more or less eliminated the adult line when they got rid of the black boxes. Now you need to be in the RLC for that kind of stuff... and even that is having it problems with kid related stuff... check out the sELECTIONs voting that is going on now if you want to know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bossman said:
Ummm mainline Hot Wheels are kid related stuff.... they more or less eliminated the adult line when they got rid of the black boxes. Now you need to be in the RLC for that kind of stuff... and even that is having it problems with kid related stuff... check out the sELECTIONs voting that is going on now if you want to know what I am talking about.
not sure what you mean by selections voting. Please explain.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Bossman said:
I would be interested in checking out the selections voting. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction? I'd be interested to know more about how Mattel views their main HW's line. I realize the idea behind the line is to produce something kids will like and be able to afford cheaply. But I'm sure they also know that these cars are bought by kids of all ages. I think the overall variety in their castings reflect that as well. But at the same time, some of their tweeking I find fun, while other times, it seems like someone in charge just wanted to put their stamp on a thing that might not necassarily need it. I've seen a lot of arbitrary changes in business of this nature. It happens more than most people know...and it sounds as if this particular casting was a victim of politics rather than the designer's intention. To me, as an artist, this sort of thing drives me crazy. Put simply, it doesn't matter how good an idea is. By the time all the chiefs at the corporate round table finish poking it, it's never the same.

Both Mattel and the HW's line have been around a long time. So don't get me wrong, they must be doing something right. But even as a kid, I kept my fantasy cars and realistic ones in two different catagories. That hasn't really changed much. So I can't help wondering, as I go from board to board, how many people feel similar...and more people would universally flock to HW's if the tweeking was kept to a minimum among most castings that are replicas of 1/1 cars?

This is probably an old debate, but how many folks feel the same? Could the HW's main line have it both ways, or would that take away the appeal/sales/whatever?

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Analog said:
The sELECTIONs voting is an RLC deal where the members vote on the castings, color/deco, and wheel type, and then the car is made to those specifications and sold in whatever quantity is ordered by the members. The voting is done in rounds, which typically last a week starting with 8 castings paired in 4 groups, and half are eliminated each week until there is one left. Then the process is repeated for color/deco and wheel type.

I haven't participated in a while so I don't know if it has changed at all. I remember the fierce battle that took place when they made the Mustang Mach 1. The vote went down to the wire between Real Riders and Redlines, through tons of lobbying and debating, Redlines ended up winning by like 10 votes out of several thousand votes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Analog said:
The selections voting takes place for 4 castings per year. You do have to be a Red Line Club Member over at HWC to be able to view and vote on the castings. Some of the castings created in the sELECTIONs have been, in my opinion, some of the nicest ever released from the RLC. Here are a couple of example of sELECTIONs cars:

But the current sELECTIONs voting now has a 68 Mustang (casting is the same as was in the classics line) being handed it's rear end by the UGLY (in my opinion) Kahrmann Ghia from the Ultra hots line. To me the wing on that car is absurd and would look cool to a kid, but not for me. I would rather they had used the Ghia that was put out in the Kalifornia Kustoms from last year.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Bossman said:
I should note that the castings are way better than my pics show. If you can't tell I suck at taking pics.
No, we can tell. :wave:

Just kidding, your pics are fine.

Here's my attempt at a pic. Selections Mach1 in the top left corner. Not my best picture effort either. :wave:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts