Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a tank and/or pressure regulator for my airbrush. Not being familiar with what a good set-up should be , I dont know if you need a tank and regulator ,or just put a regulator on the compressor. Anyone care to share thier set-up or tell me where I can buy the pieces? Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have an old Craftsman 1 horsepower, 8 gallon tank compressor. It came with a regulator and I added a moisture trap. It runs a lot of other things in my shop besides an airbrush so you may not need one this big. I can't offer any help if you are using or plan to use one of those little airbrush compressors. If you are planning to buy one keep in mind your furture needs, a big compressor can come in handy. Remember that the bigger the tank, the longer it will go between cycles, which means the pump dosen't have to work as hard to keep high air consumption tools, like an airbrush working.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Got mine through Dick Blick. Works well.

Problem I'd see with the industrial ones you'd find at the hardware store is that you might not be able to get 20-35 PSI like you would on a smaller compressor - one designed for hobbyists. Oh, and the ones at the hardware store are very loud as compared to the hobby ones. A difference of about 40 decibels or someone yelling at the top of their lungs or a stern raised voice.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my butt here but I think hobby compressors are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
hobby ones are the way to go. you wont be sorry. after all the work and time and effort +the money laid out you might as well get a hobby one

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
I'm a hardware compressor guy. I found a Campbell-Hausefield (they're the blue ones) with a 2 gallon tank and built-in regulator at a local hardware store for just under a hundred bucks. That much money might get you a Badger Whirlwind, which spits out a constant, I dunno, 5 PSI or so; I can dial the regulator on the C-H compressor as low or as high as I want. Yes, it's noisy, but I can also fill my car tires with it, which means that it pays for itself a buck per fill up.

This is one of those questions you'll eventually find the answer to for yourself, jim. But you'll get a lot of good, practical advice from this thread. You'll just have to weigh the responses then decide for yourself. Let us know what you decide.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
as to the regulator, try to find something semi-industrial. (im in the detroit area, so there are auto painting suppliers here locally that i often purchase from.) most regulators found in hardware stores have plastic knobs with plastic threads, which often break and/or strip. there are still a few out there that are all metal, and worth every penny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts